Chapter 17: FORGIVENESS

17. FORGIVENESS 17.

Today's Friday, my last day as a student in St. James High and it feels like everyone is happy that I'm finally leaving this school. My mom told me that all of this would be fine and forgotten as time goes by. Time would help me to be forgiven by everyone. She's right, they may forget everything that I did, the gossip they spread about me, but I will not. Especially if I'm still not getting any forgiveness from the girl that I hurt the most.

Jessie hasn't talked to me since I told the principal the truth. Even if we were seat mates, she would not talk or even look at me. She's really hurt from what happened. She treated me as her real friend but I treated her as my enemy. I backstabbed her in any way possible, even if it's by accident or on purpose. And even though I know it's hard to have her back or just hear that she forgives me, I have to try.

"Jessie! Can we talk?"

Jessie ignored me and walked away from me as quickly as she could.

"Jessie! Wait!"
"What should we talk about Angel Montecillo?"
"I want to explain."
"Explain what? You planned every little thing from the start, all the details. You befriended me and blamed everything on me. That tells everything. Period."
"No, Jessie. Please listen to me!"
"I don't want to! I don't want to hear your lies! Please leave me alone!" She ran away.

I followed her until she reached Tricia and Mina. I started to smell trouble, good thing I saw D to the rescue. She managed to hold the arm of Mina and calmed her. But Tricia will not hold back.

"Jessie, Tricia, Mina." I looked at them seriously. "I am sincerely sorry!"
"Shut up!" Tricia yelled at me.
"It's all my fault! I'm not expecting you to forgive me now but please, hear me." I explained.
"I said shut up!!" Tricia yelled again. "We were just backing off for days because Jessie doesn't want us to be in trouble. But now you're here I can't take it anymore.'' She raised her right hand ready to slap me. My body was frozen solid. I can't move. It's like it's telling me to accept the slap and just endure it. Because I deserve it, I deserve to feel the pain they are feeling. So I just closed my eyes and waited for it to reach my face. But the slap I'm waiting for did not manage to reach me. I slowly opened my eyes and found Jessie holding Tricia's hand tightly.
"Tricia, stop it. Don't let yourself be in trouble. Violence is not the answer. It will not solve anything" Jessie explained.
"But." Tricia complained.
"Jessie's right Trish." Mina stated. "Trish, let's go to some place to calm yourself. Jessie please stay here with Angel so you can talk. Maybe it's also right to hear her." Mina added. She's an angel, the real one.
"I'll go with you. I will leave you two alone. So you can talk privately." D followed them.

We were left alone now. It took me a minute to gather my strength again and talk to Jessie. She is standing quietly without looking at me. She looks like she's fighting to hold her tears from falling in her eyes. How many times did I make Jessie cry? How many times did I see her cry because of Dan?

"Jessie, please listen to me." I pleaded
"I don't know Angel. I trusted you, treated you as my best friend and what did you do to me?"
"I'm sorry. I admitted I really don't like you at first and I was really intimidated by you. But after I met you and got to know the real you, I was really glad to be your friend, that made me don't want to continue everything that I started."
"But, still you did! You finished everything right? You blamed everything on me. Maybe you're not the reason why Dan and I broke up but I'm sure you're happy that we are now. I even told you that he likes you. You should be really happy!"
"About the text message, believe me it was an accident. I never really wanted to send the message to Mina and Tricia believed me. You have to believe me Jessie. And about Dan...."
Jessie began to look at me.
"I never felt happy when you two broke up. I love Dan so much, you know it. But I think I already love you too, as a friend, that I don't want you to get hurt. I have done so much trouble to you, to Mina and Tricia, to everyone, and I can't take it that they are all blaming you. That's why, I told the principal everything. You are my friend now and I don't want us to go back to being strangers again. You're one of the people that I valued the most now." and it seems like I'm also holding my tears now. So I put my head down, closed my eyes, and felt the silence that separates us.
"Angel.."
"I'm really sorry!"
"Hahahaha!" Jessie laughed. "You still haven't changed Angel.

I was shocked. Jessie laughed. Why? I started to look confused.

"Do you remember what I told you when we first met? I said, ''you really like apologizing." she smiled. "I forgive you Angel."

My tears started to fall from my eyes. I walked closer to her and hugged her tight.

"I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry! I really am sorry!"
"Shhh. It's okay now. Don't worry. I already know everything"

She hugged me back. I felt relieved. She is now one of the people that I'm going to miss when I leave. The person that I hated turned out to be one of my best friends here.

It was dark now and Jessie's parents already called her driver to pick her up.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride home?"
"I'm fine! Just take care of yourself!"
"Please visit the school often before you go."
"I will!" I waved goodbye.
"Take care Angel! By the way, I do not mean to meddle, but I know that you have been avoiding Dan since your confession. I just believe that Dan deserves an explanation from you too. Please don't leave without talking to him." and the car starts to go. I watched it until I could no longer see it.

There was silence.

My last day as a student in St. James High has come to an end today, but before I leave, I just want to visit my favourite place. I walked alone towards the field and sat at the bleachers. I felt the cold wind on my face.

"I really love this place!" I shouted. I'm really going to miss this field, this school, and the memories that I have made here ever since.

I realize that I should also go now. It's already been a long day for me and seeing the field for the last time made me happy and content. I stand up and turn towards the school exit. My eyes widened when I saw Dan just a foot away from me.

"Don't go!"