24

"He's-he's dead"
Audrey lay next to Percy, choking on her tears while Percy tried not to let out a shaky breath.

Albus Dumbledore was dead.

"It'll be alright" Percy told her, stroking her hair with his fingers.

"Will it? You know what this means right?" She asked. He did know. He knew that it meant Voldemort was increasing his power and taking over Hogwarts.

"I do" he sighed.

Audrey wasn't going to sleep anytime soon and her mind was only racing faster than she could fathom.
She left the room and tried to walk around the apartment and find something to distract herself.

"Audrey-try to get some sleep" Percy came up behind her.

"How!?" Audrey asked and Percy sighed.

"I don't know" he said, "But you need to rest. It's not good for you to be staying up every night"

"Do you not understand Percy?" She asked, "he's dead!"

"I know and I understand-"

"No you don't!" Audrey burst out, "you're a pure blood. Your life may be in danger but right now I need to think for myself and my family. They're not all magic! Soon I'll be called into trial and I'll be asked if I'm pure blood and I wouldn't be able to say anything but no! They'll possibly kill me!" She yelled, "You on the other hand might be considered blood traitors but you are still a pure blood and nothing will ever change that!"

"I'm just as doomed as you!" Percy said in a louder voice. But it wasn't worth getting angry over, she was obviously stressed, "I know what you're going through...just let me help you" he said, much softer.

"You can't Perce, no one can. At the end of the day it comes down to you and me, alone, no partnership no help. We've got to defend ourselves and stop relying on others" She said,

~ ~ ~ ~

Things we bad but Audrey and Percy didn't have much they could do about it. It was all okay as long as they stayed in their place and on the low, without grabbing any attention for themselves.

Unfortunately, blood status had become a big deal and the ministry knew everything.

It was one morning that Audrey received a letter from the ministry.

Audrey had seen this coming for a while now, but it seemed too soon. She wasn't sure what she would do anymore. Her life in this world was over.

"Audrey?" Percy snapped her out of her daze, "what's the letter about?"

"I-" she hesitated, "I have a trial, with the ministry to prove I'm not muggleborn"

"Oh..." Percy was at a loss of words. At least they were safe since Audrey was Half Blood, her mother was a witch.

"I need to have at least on relative who has magic blood" she added, "but- my mother- she left the wizarding world for a long time, she never took up a job here after she met my father! There are no records of her after Hogwarts! I don't know how I'll prove it to them"

"Can't we just bring her here?" Percy asked.

"No! She's a muggleborn! They would kill her" Audrey said in a panic.

"Don't panic, I'll figure something out - I know a lot of people in the ministry, thanks to my father's work there" Percy tried to calm her down.

~ ~ ~ ~

Percy, after what seemed like months, went to the ministry. It was very different from before. Nothing had changed in its appearance but it's aura. It felt empty and eerie, almost as if it were daunting Percy to go back home.

He, of course, disguised himself as some ministry worker, it was an easy trick.

He felt stares from here and there but he had learned to ignore them very early in life. It was either that or letting every Hogwarts student, every ministry worker, every family member pick him apart little by little.

Sneaking into the ministry was easy, it was the getting into the head of muggleborn  department's office that was hard.

Percy shook his head and walked through the small crowd before knocking turning the knob and cautiously opening it.

"You knock before you enter"

Percy froze. When did she become head!? He could recognize that high pitched silky smooth yet the most sarcastic voice anywhere. It haunted every Hogwarts student day and night.

"I-sorry- wrong door" Percy closed the door before she saw his face.

"Wait wait" she said and Percy froze again. "Since you're here, take these files to the courtroom for me"

With a drumming heart, Percy, disguised as a ministry worker he didn't know, walked into the office and nodded, taking the file from her.

"You're going to be at the hearing, aren't you, Lynch?"

"Yes ma'am" Percy sighed, she didn't recognize him. "I-I had a small question.." Only now did Percy face her toad face, "You see, my wife, she's halfblood but she has no way of proving her innocence"

"I didn't know you had a wife" Umbridge said in her high pitched voice

"I do, we got married last year"

"Well I can't help you there now, can I?"

Percy sighed and nodded, turning around to leave. Why did he come here in the first place!? Why did he promise Audrey he could help when he knew the chances of that were low?

Percy had almost walked out of the door when Umbridge stopped him. "Wait" she said, "since you're so devoted to the ministry, I may be able to give you a small loophole"

———-

Audrey had expected everything to go wrong but when Percy came back with an answer, she wasn't sure how to feel.
At first she was schooled, he had just asked her, without any context. But then it all made sense

"Are you sure sure about this?" She asked him

"We don't have another answer"

"You'll have to come with me to the hearing, as YOU"

"I am well aware of that- but we will be fine!" He tried to sound as convincing as possible.

"I just-"

"Don't worry, I know, it won't be real!"

"I know- I don't want to bring you into this. This is a very high level of involvement and it's not one that you can easily get rid off! It will be in every record!"

"Audrey," Percy said, "you don't have another option!" Audrey hesitated. "Just say it! Will you marry me?"

"Yes"

Hi
I updated
I'm sorry I've been ded
I just didn't feel like writing
But here u go!!