Chapter 3

The group of soldiers moved in tune, taking advantage of the dark. For years they had trained to stay undetected and secretly infiltrate enemy forces. They were lethal. Their black armour blended in with their surroundings. To them it had become a second skin.

The soldiers walked for a good while. Many a time they would halt to observe the area or trace any suspicious movements. Gradually, the trees became dense and the group found themselves entering a forest, the city vanishing behind branches and leaves. It was unusually quiet, like the calm before the storm.

Ines stretched her back. The closer they got, the more nervous and tense she felt. She could sense something strange was going on, but she couldn't put her finger on it. Though her instincts were proven correct more often than she would prefer, she decided to ignore them. Whatever came at her would face her sword.

Her dark eyes scanned the surroundings while they progressed deeper into the woods. She could barely make out the others between the trees in the night. She stilled and waited to hear any sound that would give something away. As if to confirm her fears, a shrill scream ahead pierced the air and then silence. There was no point in trying to save the victim, 'cause whoever screamed was already dead.

Ines felt like time had slowed down, like every minute lasted for hours. Nobody dared to move a muscle. Her breathing was the only thing she heard, but then in a matter of seconds, all hell broke loose. First came the shrieking yelling of someone trying to warn the others behind and soon after the sound of screams and swords clashing penetrated the forest. The soldiers were about to take out their weapons and run to their aid, when suddenly, savage criminals appeared in every corner. They were surrounded. Someone knew they were coming and ambushed them.

Ines counted their numbers. They outnumbered them by a great deal. She saw the others thinking the same thing, because they hesitated to attack. Although the odds were against them, Ines wouldn't give up so easily. She looked to her right and found Matthew's lean figure in position while his eyes seethed with rage. It was clear he could hardly control his anger. He felt Ines' stare and glanced at her. A nod was all it took for them to throw themselves against the enemy. They bared their swords and charged with incredible speed at the nearest prey. Their movements were swift and calculated, no strike was thrown to waste. The others upon seeing them discarded any second thoughts and started fighting by their side. 

One by one Ines' opponents fell, being no match for her expert skills. Any lack of strength she made up with agility and quick strikes. Her first opponent didn't last more than a minute. She easily repelled his sword, kicked him in the chest and dug her sword in his heart.

Another ran towards her with a sneer on his face. Ines smiled in satisfaction; she would enjoy killing him. She avoided his strikes, studying his movements, and once she had seen enough she began her counterattack. She managed to wound his arm without much effort; he hissed in pain and headed for her leg, but she had anticipated that move. She pushed him back and punched him in the face. He lost his focus, which gave her enough time to cut his head off.

After making sure he wouldn't raise from the dead, she looked around to assess their losses and offer help where needed. Amidst all the chaos, the dark figures were slowly falling back before the soldiers' fearsome defense under Matthew's lead. The latter moved with confidence on the battlefield, his sword never missed its target and his shield was as formidable as the person holding it.

Ines had found herself a competitor and she had to get back in the game. She scanned the trees for her next opponent. 'What are you waiting for, you cowards!' she shouted.

That seemed to provoke one of the enemies who was desperate for some killing and started his assault on her. She fought sword with sword, ducked and jumped away from his attacks. She moved swiftly, trying to wear him down. She thought she was succeeding in that, until he surprisingly caught up with her, slashed her thigh and kicked her ribs hard before she could react. She had underestimated him.

The two fighters returned to their initial positions and circled each other, daring one another to make the first move. Ines took a defensive stance. She was counting on her opponent's attack so that she could make the final blow. As if he knew her plan, he charged at her. She met his sword with her own, putting all her strength in shoving him back. Their swords were viciously clashing as she was gaining ground little by little. He stumbled upon steep rocks which caused him to loose his footing.

Ines realised that was the only chance she would have in winning. She was so absorbed in finishing him off that she didn't hear the other soldiers shouting at her to warn her, nor did she hear branches crashing under someone's feet.

A criminal had come from behind her, ready to seize the right moment. While Ines was about to end the fight, she felt pain exploding all of a sudden in the back of her head. Nausea immediately overcame her and black spots filled her vision. She fell to the ground, unable to move or protect herself. The last thing she saw was men she knew fall in the hands of the enemy, crying in pain, before darkness overwhelmed her.

In the end things did go wrong...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: The next chapters will be getting longer.

Phrase of chapter: ρχεσθαι μαθών ρχειν πιστήσει / learn to obey before you command   - Solon