Chapter 12

Ines was walking back home after her shift on the wall. The elves' attack had worn her down, her eyes were drooping from exhaustion. It was a miracle that she managed to stay up so long. In a few hours the sun would be rising, and Ines would have to raise early the next day. She blindly ascended the stairs to her room, unlocked the door and fell on the bed face down. Immediately, sleep took over.

. . . . . .

'Where are you? Where are you, child? We have been waiting for years to meet you, we need you. We crossed the wall to find you, to reveal to you the destiny that lies ahead of you. I can't stay any longer. You have to come to us. Follow the instincts of your power.'

. . . . . .

Ines opened her eyes. The sunlight was coming in through her window, blinding her. Weird dream, she thought to herself. The events of the previous day were obviously taking a toll on her, and she had to get a grip of herself if she wanted to survive the day.

She got up and splashed some water on her face, put a new dressing on her wound and mentally prepared herself for another tiring shift. She had a few scratches here and there, but nothing too extreme to excuse her taking a day off, or else she would have stayed in bed until tomorrow.

She headed outside and looked around. The street was quiet, only the shopkeepers and the farmers were up so early in the morning, getting ready for work. Ines turned the corner and headed towards the camp. Her legs and arms were still sore, so she walked indolently, enjoying the crispy breeze on her face.

When she arrived at the camp, she entered the training grounds and went to find the captain.

'Matthew won't be coming. You are to patrol on your own today. You are dismissed,' he informed her.

Ines nodded, and exited his office. When she took the streets of the city, she felt kinda weird to be alone, like an empty space she never sensed was suddenly there for her to carry with her. All her life she had been used to keeping to herself, solitude being her best friend, but for some reason she felt differently that day.

Her thoughts kept her company throughout her patrol. She walked absent-mindedly, not paying much attention to the passers by. The hours dragged on torturously, and Ines was desperately waiting for her shift to end and collapse on her soft bed.

As she passed by a bakery, she noticed her favourite loaf of bread with cheese and olives and her stomach rumbled unpleasantly loud. She hadn't eaten anything that day. The delicious warm bread was beckoning her, and Ines felt her legs move to the bakery's entrance on their own accord.

After two loaves of warm bread and an apple she finally felt better. Maybe that was why she felt weird in the morning. Yeah, this must be it, she assured herself. She went on patrolling the city, and arrived at a small square, where the children she knew used to play. There was a small church, small houses with well kept gardens all around, and a well in the centre.

At first Ines was a bit disappointed to find the square empty of those mischievous kids, but then someone screamed and attacked her from behind. Ines chuckled. She didn't have to turn around to figure out who it was. She quickly seized the child and lifted him on her shoulder, running and spinning around. The boy yelled in delight, and Ines grinned. More kids appeared behind the trees and houses, jumping from happiness.

They played for hours, until they were too tired to even move. The sun was already setting in the horizon, and the children had to return to their homes.

'Hey!' she said to the still unconcerned kids. 'It's time. Let's go!'

The children payed her no mind, and Ines had to chase them off in order to bring them round. When she returned home, it was already dark outside, the starry sky covered the city. She opened her window and breathed the fresh wintry air, trying to clear up her mind.

The feeling of loneliness had blossomed inside her yet again. She knew she had no one to trust, no one to share her burden in hard times, only herself. Ines closed the window and lied down, burying her face in her pillow.

. . . . . .

The next morning the sun was casting its light in her room, and specifically on her face. Ines opened her eyes and winced in pain. What have I done to deserve this?, she wondered. She looked outside and saw the sun already high in the sky, and suddenly realised she was late. Again.

She got up straight away, hurriedly put on some clean garments and rushed down the stairs, receiving pointy looks. She grabbed a pear from the pantry. That would do for the present; she didn't have time for breakfast.

Ines bolted out of the inn, only to collide with a hard chest.

'I'm really sorry,' she mumbled apologetically, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

As she was about to go, she felt someone grab her wrist to stop her. She glanced up to see the face that would receive her wrath and she was surprised to see Matthew looking back at her, his eyes sparkling with amusement. Her mouth fell open. She hadn't expected that kind of development.

'Didn't expect to see me, huh?' he asked her smugly, voicing her thoughts.

'Why are you here? Weren't you at the infirmary?'

'It was only a superficial wound. I'm fine.'

'Are you sure?'

Matthew raised a brow.

'And why are you here?' she asked him.

'Somehow I knew you would be late.'

Ines snorted loudly, causing Matthew to chuckle.

'Come on,' he beckoned her to follow him.

They started walking side by side towards the camp. Ines couldn't help but ask.

'Didn't you need to rest?'

'Nah, I preferred to walk.' He looked at her and the corners of his mouth twitched. Ines knew there was something more to his words but stayed silent.

Soon enough, they arrived at the camp, got reprimanded for being late, kept their calm when they were assigned extra shifts for educational purposes—for it wouldn't be the first time—and went for patrol.

Ines and Matthew didn't talk much, settling for the fewest words or the barest glances. They just wanted to get used to each other's company before anything else. They knew they had a long record of mutual distrust, so they were careful with each other.

After finishing their patrol around the city, Ines went home and fell straight away on her soft bed. The last thing she thought before closing her eyes was that something had changed, something that made her realise that she didn't feel so alone that night.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Did you like the chapter? What do you think about Matthew's strange behaviour? I'd love to read your feedback. Until the next chapter!

Phrase of chapter: θος νθρώπ δαίμων / the destiny of man is in his own soul - Heraclitus