Chapter 57

'Get some rest,' Matthew told her and lightly nudged her towards her bed. 'I don't know when it will be the next time.'

'Yeah. I doubt I'll be able to sleep, though. The deeper I dig into my past the uglier it becomes.' She tiredly collapsed on her bed with an audible sigh that probably expressed content.

The infirmary was dead empty. Matthew had never seen other people there, anyway, and that was a good thing. It was better to have a empty infirmary than wounded people.

Matthew took off his coat and approached the fireplace in the corner of the room. He took some firewood, threw it on the hearth and lit a fire to keep them warm. He turned to Peter who was lying face up with her legs spread out on the mattress.'The past cannot be altered. What matters is the here and now. How you choose to overcome this mess,' he calmly said and walked towards her.

'Profound words coming from you.'

'Well...doing my best,' he shrugged.

'You're right. We lost the battle, but not the war.'

Matthew crouched beside her bed and looked at her. Her eyes were swollen from crying and her lips were parched after so many days of hardships. He didn't like seeing her so drained and devastated. He reached out and gently stroked the top of her head.

'What?' Peter slightly frowned at him.

He knew she wasn't used to such tender actions from anyone, but he couldn't stop himself. Their failure in the dark lands was a wake-up call for him, and right then he had fully realised how many irreplaceable things were at stake, including her. He didn't want to lose her too.

'War can force strengths from us we never expected,' he told her. 'Especially when we are most vulnerable.'

She didn't say anything, only reached for his hand on her head and brought it down on her chest to wrap it around hers.

'If I could, I would take all the arrows and carry all the weight, but I know that you're brave. Just don't forget I'm here, okay?'

'Okay.'

Matthew stood up and lied on his own bed. He had to admit, whatever they made those mattresses with, it was much better than back in their city. He let out a not so refined yawn and closed his eyes, waiting for sleep to come.

The master of dreams didn't come quickly enough, though. Before he could drift off, the first of her sobs came, weak and suppressed. Matthew gripped his pillow as a lump formed in his throat. He didn't move, nor did he open his eyes to look at her. That was a battle they had to fight for themselves, and he had to give her the time to do so.

His mind unconsciously traveled back to Inerma and Landos, how unjust their death was and how big the mark they had left on him. He didn't know what else remained for him and Peter to bear. It was already getting too heavy to lift. They were both warriors now, but it wasn't like the songs.

. . . . .

Matthew opened his eyes and looked around the city square. It was bustling with activity. The elves walked around holding flowers, food, lamps and other kinds of things that he had no idea what they were intended for. Although it had struck him as unusual, he hadn't given it much thought.

'I'm coming for you!' he yelled with a wide grin on his face.

Light chuckles rang in his ears, and he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. No matter how many times he had discovered their hiding place he enjoyed watching them put so much effort in staying undetected. It made it all the more satisfying to find them in the end.

He started walking towards the big bushes in the centre of the square; there were always a couple of kids there, squatting on the ground. He silently approached the greenery and sure enough he saw behind them a ten-year-old boy whose white hair shined under the sunlight.

The moment the kid noticed him towering over him he burst out of the bushes and ran for his dear life, heading towards the city bridge. Matthew had to catch him before he could make it there. The rules said if anyone of the children crossed the bridge, the win would be theirs. Matthew yelled and ran after him, his eyes following the bird in flight.

At first, he gave the kid a small lead, but then he pushed himself to run faster, to catch him just in time and rob him of a victory. His long feet fought the thick snow that dared to slow him down and closed the distance between them. Once he was close enough, he reached his hand out and sleekly snatched the boy by the waist.

'You were too late!' Matthew roared and tossed him in the air.

The kid giggled merrily. With every bounce of the suspension his head wobbled like it was only loosely attached to his neck.

'Quite a victory you won there,' Peter's amused voice made him turn around.

'Agh! Such a nice morning exercise,' he put down the boy who quickly ran back to his friends.

As he stretched his sore body from that morning's training, he gazed at her beautiful face. Her skin had tanned a bit after all those hours she spent under the sun in the forest, and the evening hues of the sky hugged her delicate features. He never got tired of looking at her.

A week had passed since their return from the dark lands, and it was clear that she hadn't completely recovered from the devastating loss they had experienced. She talked less, smiled less; she had just cowered into herself. Matthew had tried to be there for her, but he wasn't that strong either.

The day of the funeral, when he saw the pain and the sorrow etched on the elves' faces, when reality was too tough to handle, he had failed to keep his calm.

His guilty thoughts were stopped short by Peter who turned to a small girl passing by. 'What's going on?' she asked her.

Matthew guessed she was referring to the big commotion that was taking place all around them.

'We are getting ready for the solstice,' she jumped up and down in excitement.

'Wait. It's today?'

'Yeah!'

'I'm curious to see what they have planned,' Matthew admitted when the girl left.

'Not sure. I have other things going on in my head,' she said with a gloomy sigh.

'Peter,' he said in a firm tone that allowed no objections. 'You need a break from all this. We will help with the preparations, and I won't take no for an answer.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Oh, I heard they need stars over there to put the lights up. Come on. Don't just stand there. Help them!

Phrase of chapter: Cineri gloria sera venit / Glory paid to ashes comes too late - Martialis