Chapter 30

'Stand up, soldier!' Matthew shouted at Peter. 'We have a long way ahead of us.'

He had woken up earlier than Peter, and he had let her rest for a while, but now the sun was high in the sky, and she was still sound asleep with her mouth wide open. He couldn't wait much longer; they had a long journey ahead. She looked at him with blurry eyes and raised from the blanket. Her hair was a tangled mess, and Matthew smiled at her adorable state.

She glared at him and cleared her throat before she spoke. 'I am not sure I want to return.'

Matthew frowned at her answer, cursing himself for being so insensitive, for taking her agreement for granted. He knelt down beside her and looked at her worriedly. 'Why?'

'I don't know, I'm not jumping at the idea of getting back.'

'You don't feel ready?'

'I feel like it's too much for me to shoulder.'

'Peter, you are not alone. Although I know you are not used to hearing that, I truly mean it.'

'I am afraid I won't meet their expectations,' she said in a small voice.

Matthew held her head in his hands and looked at her sternly. 'You are much stronger than you think. You are brave, and smart, and kind. You are more worthy than all the rest of them combined.'

Peter blushed furiously and snorted, as if to dismiss his words.

'I am serious. We need more warriors like you. The world is out of balance, you have seen what is happening out there. It is up to us to raise above our fears. One day I want to close my eyes and know that at least we tried.'

Matthew let go of her, his mouth set in a hard line. He knew the dangers the future might hold, and he was terrified by the idea of losing her, his closest friend, but he trusted himself to keep her safe.

Peter pondered for a minute what he had said, and her eyes filled with renewed determination. 'You're right.' She stood up and helped him gather their things.

When the sun was at its highest, they started going down the path on the mountain. Matthew prayed they would not encounter any more elves.

'So, what's next?' he broke the silence.

'I have to test my powers. If I have any.'

'Okay. What kind of power would you want?'

Peter hummed in thought, her gaze unfocused. 'Maybe...the one you can throw rocks and bend metal. It would be really cool.'

'I'd prefer the mind control.'

'Yeah. That's a good one as well,' she agreed, smiling up at him.

He liked when he saw her smile. Her eyes shined, and two dimples appeared on both her cheeks. Matthew had to force himself to look away.

They quietly progressed down the mountain, immersed in their thoughts. The steep pathway grew even, as they neared the village that seemed to beckon them with its joyful activity and welcoming homes.

'Come on. We can't be seen,' Matthew pulled her by the arm.

As much as he would like to enjoy the beautiful view, they had to leave. They entered the dense forest trees that would provide some cover and walked on the soft snow. Matthew breathed in the fresh crispy air, the leaves dancing to an unheard beat, whispering their songs to the wind. He stayed alert for any suspicious movement.

They slowly made their way through the woods, stealing glances from one another, exchanging words of encouragement. Matthew felt better than the day before, his legs not so sore, and he went on first to make sure it was safe. They had almost reached the mountain range that hid the city behind jagged peaks. If they made it to the rocky pathways, they would be free from the elves' threat.