Chapter 26

It was the first time Ines was fighting side by side with an elf. She was making history. They were doing pretty good, taking down their opponents one by one, covering each other when they needed it. They had killed more than 25 of them, but the lack of sleep was slowly creeping on her arms and legs. She hoped there weren't many more, or else they would have to follow a different tactic.

They moved in sync. Rakron bended their weapons, and Ines made the final blow. They were doing a fine job, until the last ones arrived. They saw the end of the battle was near, and they overestimated their powers. As they charged against them, Ines struck the enemy without a second thought, without protecting her blind spot. She fought carelessly, believing she could easily outbrave them.

She didn't pay attention to one of them who sneaked behind her, holding a dagger in his hand. It would have succeeded if Rakron hadn't stepped in. Before the dagger could pierce her armour, he took the hit and killed it.

'Rakron! Oh no, no, no,' she trailed off in panic. She swiftly killed them off and rushed to him, but it was already too late. Rakron fell on the floor with a thud. He touched the knife that was stuck in his chest and pulled it out. Ines knew the wound was deep, and they would need Landos' magic to stop it from bleeding. 'We will have to move. I will help you,' she said, grabbing his arm.

Rakron shook his head and gently pushed her away. He might have been in pain, but his expression was calm. He looked at her like he had been prepared for something like this.

'I will not leave you here,' she insisted, and went to lift him up again. 'Maybe Landos can help you.'

Again, Rakron refused to move. He stopped her and held her hand. Go, he mouthed at her with a stern look.

'I'm not gonna leave you alone!'

Go, he moved his lips once more, signaling at her with his head to leave. Ines stood beside him; she should at least be there for him in his final moments. She held his hand tight and spoke. 'Thank you for everything. I will never forget.'

His lips curved into a faint smile, and Ines watched as his eyes gradually lost their light. She should have screamed or cried in pain, she should have wept for his death, but the tears never came. She didn't deserve to mourn him; she wouldn't do him justice, only the people whose hearts beat in the same rhythm with his. Instead, she prayed for him to find happiness beyond that world.

She stood up, lifted his body with care, and positioned it on her horse. She pulled the reins, guiding the animal to the direction they had gone off. She needn't walk for long; she found the others waiting for them by a small river that glided amongst the forest roots, shining blue amid the leafy green. Under the steady rising light, she saw the relief on their faces. When they noticed her horse, though, and specifically what was on her horse, the smile left their lips.

Inerma gasped in fear, bringing her hands up to cover her mouth. They neared his body without saying anything and put him down on the ground.

'I am so sorry. I did everything I could. I'm sorry,' she said in a small voice filled with regret.

'He accepted the risks, and he decided to protect you,' the old replied, more like to remind himself.

'Why risk his life for me?'

Landos knelt over him, his eyes welled up. 'Cause he's a fool,' he said harshly. 'I told you to not light that fire!'

No one spoke; they knew it was pointless. Words could not make the pain go away. Landos touched Rakron's chest and started mumbling a spell to prevent his body from decomposition. Their mourning came as a sad song, soft and low, a lullaby that spoke of the time of healing to come, of a road that must be travelled one step at a time.