Chapter 14

Matthew and Peter exited the workshop. They understood then that the matter was bigger than they thought, not just a bunch of rogue thieves who ran an illegal business. A million thoughts were swirling in his mind about who could be behind this, a million possibilities that needed to be taken into consideration, and Matthew felt a headache coming.

'Hey. Everything okay?' Peter asked him softly.

'Yeah, just a headache.' He rubbed his temples, trying to soothe his galloping mind.

'So, where next?' he asked.

'What? Now?'

'Yes. It might be the only free day we have for the rest of the year.'

Peter considered it for a minute. He could see the gears turning in her brain as he patiently waited for her answer, respecting her opinion on the matter.

'Okay,' she agreed. 'Where should we head to?'

'You heard him. East.'

'Pretty vague, isn't it?' she raised a brow.

'I know a village east of the city. We could start from there.'

'Alright. Let's go.'

They would have to cover a long distance to get there, so they agreed to take their horses instead of walking. Besides, they would enjoy some running outside the city; the stables were not a suitable place for such powerful beasts.

They walked hurriedly to the stables close to the military camp where the army's horses were kept. The main building was made of dark walnut wood with running grounds at the back and could house not more than 100 horses. The animals were widely used for various purposes, especially in the army, so they had to use an extra facility outside the walls to breed and tend to more than the city premises allowed.

Matthew could already make out the stables' roof and quickened his pace. He was looking forward to seeing his horse, a beautiful mare he had bought three years ago, and was one of his most treasured possessions so far. He heard Peter chuckle behind him, but he didn't care. He had left her alone for too long.

He entered the building, and after informing the worker who kept track of the animals, he headed towards his horse. He spotted her immediately; she stood out from the others. Her coat was black with big patches of white around her eyes. Her legs were strong, and her back was lean. The moment she saw him, she whickered at him happily. She was eager to be released.

Matthew had really missed her, and it seemed like she had too. After they had properly caught up with each other, Matthew put a saddle and bridles on the animal and guided her out of the stables. Peter was waiting outside, already on her horse, a fast male with brown and black patches on its coat.

'Finally. It took you less than last time,' she said with a ghost of a smile on her face.

Matthew glared at her and urged his horse forward. They galloped through the city, exiting the walls through the south gate, and rode straight through the forest trees. When the lush vegetation was too thick to run, they slowed down, Matthew staying in the front, Peter following his lead.

'Grace really seemed to like you,' Peter spoke.

'You see? I know the way to a woman's heart.' He turned around smirking, and Peter pretended to throw up.

'I always wanted a sister, you know. Have a big family,' he went on.

'Yeah, me too. Your parents died when you were little, right?'

'Yes, from tuberculosis, I don't remember much though.'

'I'm sorry,' she said, giving him a sad smile.