Chapter 18

'Matthew. Wait! What's wrong?' Ines yelled after him.

They were galloping back to the city.

'Don't stop, Peter. We need to hurry.'

She was getting annoyed with his secretive attitude. 'Why? Tell me!'

Matthew knew she couldn't wait any longer. 'I am afraid that there is more to your visions. That what you dreamed of has really happened in the past.'

'How could you know?' she asked.

'Remember the old elf who tried to snick into the city last night?'

'Yeah. What about him?'

'I think I saw him wearing an identical medallion.'

'That is impossible!' she exclaimed in a shaky voice.

'That is a matter of opinion.' He kicked his horse, and Ines followed his lead.

They reached the city gates, entered the walls, and rode to the stables. They left their horses and met outside the building.

'We need to find those elves,' Matthew said. 'Where could they be?'

'Probably in the dungeon by now.'

'At the palace?'

Ines nodded.

'Okay. Let's move.'

Matthew was about to go when Ines grasped his hand. He turned around and glanced at their entwined hands with an unreadable expression. Ines let it go in embarrassment.

'What?' he said crossing his arms.

'I can't let you get involved in this.'

Matthew frowned; he hadn't expected that. 'What are you talking about? Of course, you can. We are a team.'

Ines had to admit she liked the sound of that. Now is not the time, she reprimanded herself.

'It's too dangerous. I won't have you risk your position in the army. Please, stay.'

'But I can—'

'No, Matthew. That is my final word.'

Ines saw Matthew fighting a mental war, his eyes unfocused. After a minute's thought, he nodded in agreement.

'Fine,' he said, 'I will let you go alone. However, I need you to promise me that if anything goes wrong, and I mean anything, you will draw back immediately.'

'I promise.'

'Okay. Be careful.'

Ines turned around and rushed to the palace. She ran as fast as her feet could carry her, her footsteps echoing on the empty streets. She made it to the palace without being seen, and went to the back of the imposing edifice, where the prison was located. She carefully climbed the walls of the building, jumped to a roof, and sneaked in through a door.

The prison was like a maze, preventing the inmates from escaping. Every door was guarded by soldiers that were trained to kill the escapees on sight. She hid behind the wall and waited for the right moment. When one of them went for a break, she ducked low and sneaked behind the other. She flew down the stairs, crossed corridors, hid every time she heard soldiers coming.

Ines searched up and down to find the right cell, and after multiple futile attempts she finally succeeded. Nine elves were packed in a single cell that was made for not more than five people. Most of them were badly injured, probably from the interrogations that had followed after their attack.