Chapter 60

They quickly put on their clothes and rushed back to the city. They ran through the trees, leaving footprints on the white snow, and prayed they weren't too late. Matthew swallowed hard but didn't let the dark thoughts daunt him. He urged Peter to make haste and forced himself to move faster.

As the trees thinned out, they slowed down and reluctantly stepped out of the woods with a worried expression on their faces. The moment they saw what was really going on, Matthew heard Peter gasp.

Shouting rent the air. What was once peaceful became polluted with rage. The sun hadn't dawned yet, but the flames that surrounded them were as much as blinding. The city was in shambles, most of the houses on fire, and the streets had turned into rivers of chaos. What took peaceful communities centuries to evolve had been savaged in a few moments.

Matthew saw the people try to salvage whatever could be saved. The women were dragging the children away from danger, towards the woods, while the men had undertaken the responsibility of putting out the fire. Matthew didn't miss the devastated looks the mothers exchanged every time they glanced back at their loved ones.

War ravaged, broken people and broken dreams, and for what? For power? For greed? Matthew didn't have the answer to that question. He only observed the scene before him in dismay, his feet rooted to the ground.

'Are you okay? Are you hurt?' a familiar voice brought him back to reality.

Matthew turned around to look at the person and he saw the old elf staring at them with parted lips. His hair was disheveled, and his clothes were covered in soot and dirt.

'We are fine,' Peter replied quiet sharply.

He didn't blame her, actually. Learning his betrayal was a punch in the gut, even for him, and he couldn't even imagine how that must have been for her. All her life she had been distrustful and once she had finally overcome her trust issues, reality came down hard on her. In her place he wouldn't be so lenient.

Before the elf could ask anything further, more screams penetrated the silence, chilling and more urgent than earlier. They made his skin crawl in fear. He immediately signaled to Peter and together they followed the source of the sound.

They quickly entered the woods, jumping over branches and running with purpose through the dwindling light that started to appear in the horizon. Every flutter of a leave caught their attention, sparked their minds to move faster. Matthew felt the screaming of his lungs and the will of his muscles to go far beyond what exercise could ever demand. They had to make it on time.

Another shrill scream was heard, and Matthew knew they were almost there. They ran for a few more metres and eventually they arrived at the place where the sound had originated. They stopped short, both of them panting, and observed their surroundings.

From what they could see, three of the creatures they had faced many times in the past were attacking a woman with her two children. The mother was still managing to hold them off, away from her kids, but she was at a disadvantage. Sooner or later, she wouldn't be able to protect them.

Peter didn't wait to see that happen. She pulled out her sword and let out a scream as she charged at the creatures. There was something in that shout, a pain behind it. He watched her eyes. Then he knew. The anger was nothing but a shield for pain, and that pain he felt too.

Matthew watched her fight the creatures and take them down one by one. Her movements were those of a panther; agile, strong, and deadly. He was sure he didn't have to interfere; she seemed to know what she was doing.

Within minutes two of those creatures were already down and the third and last one was meeting her wrath. Peter moved in for the kill and was about to hit it with her powers, but as she raised her hands in the air the creature suddenly froze in place and started speaking in a monotonous voice.

'When the next full moon rises in the sky our reign will finally begin. You'd better prepare for our—'

It didn't get to finish its sentence. The magic that possessed it left its body, causing it to fall dead on the ground, not much of a threat anymore. The elves who had been in danger were now giving them grateful looks.

'When is the next full moon?' Peter approached him and asked.

'In six days,' the old elf answered from behind them.

Matthew let out an exasperated sigh. He was pushing his luck.

'They will make their final move,' he went on.

'How did it get here? How did it pass the wall?' Matthew countered back.

'They found a way through it.' The old elf looked at Peter who was glaring at him, but her smoldering gaze didn't discourage him. 'If we want to have a chance in winning against black magic you will have to come with me. Right now,' he told her soberly. The old man grabbed her by the wrist and started pulling her away.

Right then, Matthew decided he had had enough of him. With three long strides he was on him. He pushed him back to break his hold off Peter and stood between them. 'She is not going anywhere with you,' he said through gritted teeth, making sure nobody overheard.

'Have you fought with him before?'

'Yes.'

'I bet he was stronger than you. He uses black magic, and that is the most powerful kind. You need a weapon stronger than his powers and older than your sword.'

Matthew opened his mouth to speak, but Peter put a hand on his shoulder to stop him. 

'How do we know that this is not one of your tricks?' she narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

'I know you do not trust me, but I ask you only this once. I will not ask for anything else again. I promise.'

Matthew saw her frown in thought and instantly knew she was weighing her options. It was true that he wasn't to be trusted, but if what he was referring to gave them a better chance in winning, they would have to listen to him, just this once. He considered the benefits of her having such a weapon, so when she glanced up at him, he nodded at her in approval.

'Alright. Show me what I have to do,' was the only thing she said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Hello again dear readers! What do you think is gonna happen next? Should they trust him? I'd really like to hear what you think of the chapter <3 See yaaaa

Phrase of chapter: ride, si sapis / laugh if you are wise - Martialis