chapter 27

~Adrien

drawing up at the end of what happened between Chris and me this morning, I refuse to leave behind any hidden scraps of details that might still be stuck in the corners of my mind. Every single ounce of her dares not stray from every word I let out.

A weirdly relieved utterance spread all over her exhausted figure as she frees a brief sigh. Weird but not as weird as what is to follow as she begins to speak what betrays what should be said from every logical deception "uhm, so that's what happened!"

What does she mean that's what happened? Is that all she has to say to me after I told her that I left her here unprotected even though I knew that the rogues would be targeting the pack.

She lowers her eyes, focusing on her fingers fidgeting nervously.

"To be honest, no matter how much I tried to convince myself that you're all innocent and that you would never leave us alone to our doom. It was quite hard to stray from the fact that you've abandoned us" she halts, keeping her eyes locked on her fingers' edgy rubs. If that isn't enough to make me feel guilty as it should, I don't know what would. I can't believe I was fool enough to accept such a plan even if it kind of worked anyway.

I open my mouth, trying to pick some words of condolence. Her words precede me.

"I was so scared" the kneads on her fingers grow harsher "all of these women and kids looked at me with such hopeful eyes and it was then that I've realized that's how you felt your whole life being their alpha"

Her speech blocks my thinking process. No one has ever sympathized with the way my childhood and my life has been fucked up, let alone how I'm treated as an alpha nor how I'm handling being one. She really does amaze from every aspect. A girl that I cannot predict at all.

"Thank you for saving us" she proclaims, finally upping her face to confront mine, tears rolling down her small figure with a light red pigment parading on her cheeks and the ledges of her nose. I gaze at the glassy drops traveling her cheeks, completely astonished.

This must be the first time that I'm seeing her cry, and it hurts immensely, even when I'm fully aware that she's crying from relief.

I stretch my hands and try to cup her cheek. Her face jabs away as she scrambles her own ones and wipes out her tears. I withdraw my hands back, respecting her desire. She seems to resemble me the more I get to know her.

She inhales, intensely, letting all the air she can master inside to refresh her lungs. Shaking her face a bit, she holds her index right in front of my face. I stagger back slightly, surprised by her sudden surge.

"Yet one thing should be done anyway"

I stare at her, open mouthed, not grasping the meaning of what she has just said.

"What thing?" I word out my brain's silent thoughts.

She fakes a smile as I weave my eyebrows, still not knowing what she is scheming. Little did I know that the thing she talked about was flying her open palm right to my cheek, giving me the slap of my life.

"This" she breathes, sharply "is for all of us, you gave us a fucking heart attack" she shouts, standing violently and settling her hands on her hips. She looks more like herself.

I stare back, shocked. This must be the first time I'm getting a slap from someone and I'm not complaining. I am rather... happy. It feels good to be scolded for something bad that I've done.

I brush my fingers against my cheek, soothing the pain a little bit. How nostalgic, her attitude is that of a mother.

"Fair enough, I guess I deserved it" I admit, lifting my face to meet her frowning one. Just in a childlike manner, she avoids my remorseful stares.