chapter 42

~Sesil

I can't help my head as it rolls over to have a last glimpse at the packhouse through the back glass of the car. It has been a while since I left this place, at least not without Adrien sticking to my side as my personal bodyguard.

"Don't worry sweetheart we'll get you back in one piece" the blonde sitting before me speaks. Her gaze is burning into my apprehensive posture through the little mirror.

"It's not that I'm worried" I try to justify. I don't want her to think that I'm uncomfortable around her. In addition, no matter how you look at it, we get to benefit the most from this plan. I get to rid myself of a crazy stalker and Belle gets to be acknowledged in the world that had once thrown her out. Vivian has no usefulness to get out of this, other than the common one that applies for the rest of the packs.

The annihilation of a dangerous man.

"It is alright to feel scared darling" her intense blue eyes gaze at me for a moment through the reflected image, trying to read whatever I'm trying to disguise under my unflappable act.

"You're mated with him. It is only normal you'd feel empty and insecure without him. Moreover, you're being trailed. Anyone would feel uncomfortable" she turns over hastily, offering me a wide smile. She wants to ease my condition. How unusual for her. On a first estimation you would have of her, she comes off as being someone who does not offer care for most people.

"Well, I bet you wouldn't" I dare, trying to fish out more information about her. She is an intriguing person and I can't help my hunger to discover her.

I eye her through the little glass as she makes a weird expression that I cannot get a hold of. A mixture of pain and sadness, mixed with drops of satisfaction. Every person holds a story in the years they have lived. I have a feeling that Vivian is rather weighted by them.

"My old self would"

She lowers the glass facing her side and lets the fresh breeze tickle her blonde strands, sending her into a deep thoughtful process.

"That until I learned that the weakest doesn't get to survive in our hierarchy and that love" she halts and I deepen my concentration. Eager to know more. "Love will find many ways to end you. Once it is done with you, even if you're still breathing, you'll be dead inside"

According to what I can pick up from her speech. Maybe she's talking about a beloved's loss. she must be talking about her brother that Adrien told me about.

"I'm sorry" the words rushes out of my throat before I can stop them. She eyes me confused for a moment.

"For your brother I mean. Adrien told me about it" I explain, a little embarrassed and plenty regretful. I don't know if she would hate for others to know about her past, let alone to talk about it.

She stands still for what felt for me, like long moments of excruciating silence. Did I just step on mine?

"Jacob slow down" she orders her beta. I shrink in my place, stiffening my muscles. I did make a wrong move by bringing up something she mostly wants to keep hidden.

What was I thinking?

She inspects our back as we slow down enough for the girls to forego us.

"Keep them driving ahead of us" she orders the man driving beside her again as he answers, as always with a soft nod. She is truthful to her duty, wanting to keep everyone safe on her watch.

"Now" she exhales with the same playful accent, bending her seat and turning to face me.

"I wanted to have this conversation with you, when we sit in some other place after picking up the dresses but here is fine as well" she smiles energetically even though sadness is persistently eating away from the upcast tilts that she's trying to curl her lips into.