Chapter 44

~Adrien

With my presence pinpointing across from hers, her eyes widen in shock and the pinky color fades away from her olive skin. Her face reads in big lines that my face was the last thing she expected nor wished to see at this exact moment. Her posture is not sparing her any guilt either; her steps seem to tiptoe their trudges as she hides behind the wall. Optimistically, far away from our eyes' reach. She was sneaking on me.

Her eyes twitch and her bottom lip is already being brutalized under her front teeth. She is preparing for a lie, a ridiculous one at that. She isn't the best when it comes to telling lies. Her face, her body language, it says it all.

"Surprise" she blows in a loud voice, trying to hide the few shakes that her voice stumbled upon on its way out. She lifts her arms above her head in an enthusiastic, childish move. Well, little did she know that I could read her like the palm of my hand. Her level of nervousness is not slipping entirely unnoticed from me as well. No matter how she's trying to control her reaction, her loud heartbeat is giving her away. However, instead of squeezing so many why - that I can think of now - out of her, I can only laugh.

I nudge my eyebrow in a skeptical gesture, not allowing the smile to leave my face "surprise?"

She averts her gaze downward, only regretting her ridiculous strategy. Realizing that there is no way back, she pushes further through her lie "yes. I was trying to frighten you. Silly me, I keep forgetting your hellhound doggy nose"

Despite the insulting nature of her answer, I take no offense in it. I take great pride in the talent that I have, even more now, after I became able to recognize her scent, more effectively than any other creature would.

"Did you?" I add in a doubtful tone. She knows that I am not buying whatever poorly sewn lies she has in store.

"You bet your ass she did" Vivian's giggly voice interrupts us. Cutting down the pressure that I believe I'm putting on my little mate.

My eyes dart backward, toward the blonde and her companion. I was aware of their presence, yet I haven't planned to look at them. Not until I get my answers at least.

Sesil snatches the opportunity as soon as it dangles its tail at her.

"Well, if you excuse me, I have been walking for long hours and I need to take a rest"

She pushes through me softly, trying to save whatever I'm trying to fish out of her. I move out of the way slowly. if she pushes forcefully against me, she would only hurt herself. And I'm not ready to trade her honesty for a potential harm that could touch her. Besides, now that Vivian is finally here, urgent matters must be attended to first.

I wait until she thrusts herself in the main stairs route so I can finally speak.

"We need to talk, Vivian," I inform with a rigid accent. My playful demeanor has left as soon as my mate faded out of my view.

"do we now?" she drags her heeled feet out of the tight passageway. Vivian has always been fast on the uptake, another trait that makes her unique. I haven't told her that I was planning to interrogate a rogue that I caught in the last attack. I haven't even told her that I had a rogue in my custody, yet she seems terribly aware that I have words on the edge of my tongue, waiting for the closest ransom. Updates that she should be informed of.

With no need of any further directions, her loud stomps head intrepid toward my office. Her beta as usual, sticking to her side. Jay and I follow her right behind.

"So?" she puffs, casually, as she throws herself mindlessly on the couch across from my desk.

Jay shuts the door behind us as I launch myself into the office.