Prologue: Part 3/5

June 1992

Ethan had his girlfriend home for the summer, meaning that Esme was forced to watch them be all lovey dovey.

Though she only had to look at it until mid-July when Esme would go and stay with the Weasleys like planned.

Aimee Ravens was a girl from Ravenclaw who happened to be head-over-heels in love with Ethan Night, though Esme had no idea why anyone would be in love with her brother.

She loved her brother — she looked up to him, but he was such a know-it-all and he always had to suck the fun out of everything. Though at the same time, Esme was the same in some ways, even if she didn't want to admit it.

While Esme loved mischief and had always loved playing random pranks on her brother or even her parents, her friends knew her to follow most rules. She found a way to play pranks without breaking them. She even had a rule herself...

Never play a prank on Snape.

She didn't want to be on his bad side, but she was afraid that being friends with the twins and with Lee, had secured her a spot very high on that exact list.

When Esme had gotten home, she and her dad discussed Quidditch. Esme told him about her first year of playing, and told him how she had ended up in the hospital wing after her first game, because Slytherin decided to play dirty and hit her with a bludger.

Her broom had been broken but it was only the tip of it so it had been easily fixed by Madam Hooch with the use of some magic.

Although Esme had ended up in the hospital wing with her head pounding, she had loved playing Quidditch and she couldn't wait for another year of it.

July 1992

"George?" Esme whispered as she stood on her knees by his bed, a hand on his arm.

"I'm trying to sleep, Essie."

Esme made a face at the sudden nickname. She had never been called Essie before, and George seemed to notice it too because he opened his eyes and frowned.

"Essie..." he tasted the word, then chuckled and turned onto his side to look at her. "...are you okay?"

"I had a bad dream." She said. "It was awful! Instead of Harry, I was the one almost getting killed by Professor Quirrell."

At the end of Esme's second year, Harry had stood face to face with Professor Quirrell who tried to kill him to get the resurrection stone.

Esme hadn't understood it when she got the news — Quirrell was their DADA teacher and he seemed to harmless, but Harry had explained that You-Know-Who had been attached to the back of his head, telling the professor what to do.

"Are you scared?" George mocked, offending Esme.

"Shut up." She hissed through gritted teeth. "I'm not scared!"

George looked at her for a moment before he made room for her, and Esme didn't hesitate on crawling underneath his duvet.

"Quirrell is gone, Essie." George assured her, and Esme looked at him.

There was that nickname again.

"I know." She muttered. "But it's weird... though it makes sense at the same time. It was obvious to anyone that Quirrell was a pushover."

George hummed.

"Go to sleep, Esme." George yawned. "I'm tired."

August 1992