Twenty-seven

Once Esme had gotten herself together, she left the bathroom and marched back down to the twins room.

Ethan was standing in the doorway, having a casual conversation with the twins. He heard that they were awake and wanted to make sure they were alright with their father being hospitalised and everything.

Ethan remembers what it was like with his mother. She had been attacked and brought to St. Mungo's. Ethan had wanted to get Esme out of school, but their mother had made he and David promise not to, not until she had gotten better.

Though she never got better and she died before Esme could get out of school and say her goodbye. The injuries from the attack had just been too severe and the healers did everything they could, but Yasmine's body was already giving up.

Ethan remembers when she took her last breath before her body stilled. He remembers the way he cried, shaking his head and refusing to let go of his mother's hand. He remembers the way his father pulled him back and into his embrace, the two of them crying as Yasmine laid there, the soul leaving her body.

Ethan will always feel guilty for not telling Esme even though Yasmine had forbidden him too. She really thought she was going to get better. She thought she would be able to see her daughter again, but then she died and Esme hadn't even known that Yasmine had been attacked.

Esme pushed past her brother. George was still on his bed. His eyes landed on Esme and she couldn't read his expression but he sure could read hers.

She was angry.

"Es-"

"I get that you are scared and upset that this has happened to your father." she said, staring right at George. "I get that, yeah? I get how terrified you are that you'll have to adjust to a life without your dad, and trust me, having to do that is fucking painful, but that's got nothing to do with my mum so keep her out of your fucking mouth!"

Hearing Esme curse like that was rare. Her own brother raised his eyebrows in surprise, while George just stared at her without saying anything. He knew what he said was wrong and he knew it hurt her. She could barely even talk about her mother, so him throwing her death at her like that, was the most hurtful thing he could do towards her.

"Es, I'm sorry-"

"Yeah?" Esme asked. "I hope you are. Because George... that was cruel."

With that, she turned and left the room again, making her way down to the basement where Sirius and Harry still sat.

"Sirius, can I take the same room for the night?" Esme asked, referring to the room she stayed in last summer.

"Your father doesn't want you home?" Sirius asked and stood up to get himself a new cup of tea, and Esme sighed.

"I can't just be at home. Not when Mr Weasley is in the hospital." she explained. "Ethan is here and dad knows where I am, so it's fine."

Sirius gave a small nod.

"The room is yours." he smiled and Esme thanked him before making her way back upstairs. She walked past Ethan in the hallway who grabbed his sisters arm to stop her.

Esme looked up at her, raising an eyebrow to question his actions. Ethan didn't let go of her. He had asked George about her outburst and George had told her what he had said.

"Fred and George are going through something difficult right now, Es. That doesn't mean it was okay for him to make a comment like that about mum, but you have to look at it from his perspective. He's scared and he's lashing out. Tell me you haven't done that before..."