Thirty-six

"George..." Esme sighed as she wrapped the blanket around him to warm him up.

When he got back inside, he was shaking from the cold and his teeth were chattering. They still were.

Esme pulled him with her to her dorm where she found a thick and warm blanket.

"I didn't mean you should actually do it." Esme said, rubbing his arms as she led him to sit down on her bed. "I just wanted to see if you'd do it."

"I-I d-did it." He managed to breathe, gulping, and Esme tightened the blanket around him, continuing to rub his arms, hoping to get some warmth into his body.

"Yeah..." Esme chuckled. "...you did, and it was stupid. Look at you now. You're freezing."

George let out a breathy laugh, shaking his head. "I don't c-care."

Again, she chuckled, but this time it was at the way he stuttered, his teeth still clattering but less and less by the second.

"You're going to get sick, you know?"

George shrugged.

"It'll all be worth it when we go on that date."

"George—"

"Es, you promised."

Esme shook her head.

"No. I said I'd reconsider it. I didn't promise anything."

With a dry laugh, George stood up, the blanket falling from around him. He towered over her and she automatically stepped back.

He didn't say anything. His jaw was clenched so he was obviously upset but he didn't say anything. He just walked over to where he earlier dropped his clothes.

Esme looked away as he pulled his jeans up, zipping them up and buttoning them.

"What I don't—" George spoke again and Esme looked at him. "...why are you— Merlin's beard Esme. Stop playing with my fucking head!"

He aggressively snatched his shirt off the floor and pulled it on.

Esme watched him, her eyebrows falling into a frown.

"I'm not playing with your head. I'm—"

"You get my hopes up, that's what you do." He said, pointing at her. "I'm tired of being in love with you when I can't be with you. You came into the common room and cuddled me when you were upset! You tried to kiss me and I stopped it because I knew you'd regret it. Esme I just ran out into the snow, half fucking naked because I love you and I wanted to prove to you how sorry I am! Because I am sorry, Essie. You've got no idea how much. I respected your mother. She was always very kind and I hate what I said. I hate that I brought her up like that and I get that you're punishing me for it, but—"

"I'm not punishing you." Esme said quietly. "I'm protecting myself against getting hurt."

George took a step towards her, clenching his hand so that he wouldn't reach for her. That was all he wanted to do, but he didn't know how she'd react.

"So it's a no to the date?"

George was slightly surprised when Esme shook her head, then shrugged.

"I never said that. I didn't say I hadn't changed my mind. I said I was going to reconsider it, and I will do that. But I can't give you an answer right now."

For a moment, neither of them said anything.

"Are you okay?" Esme then asked him. "Are you still cold?"

George shrugged and Esme took a step towards him. She reached for his hand, holding it.

His hand was cold so she took both of his hands in hers and rubbed them to try and warm him up.

Then while holding his hands in one hand, she raised her other hand to rest it against the side of his neck.

Their eyes met and George's were soft. He looked at her with admiration. He did admire her. To him, she was an amazing person and he always wanted nothing but to be close to her.

Without thinking, George leaned down and kissed her.

Esme was caught off guard, her eyes widening, but when she realised what was happening, she let her eyelids slide close and she kissed him back.

She felt the fireworks erupt in her stomach, the sparks hitting her chest. The smell of his cologne hit her and she felt dizzy, but in a nice way.

George's lips were soft, yet they knew exactly what to do. It felt just like the last time, if not better.

His hand found it's way to the nape of her neck, his fingers getting tangled with her hair, and his other hand held hers.

Esme's hand felt amazing against his neck. He could feel the warmth radiating off of her, warming him which was exactly what he needed.

And at the same time, Esme felt the coldness of his skin, rubbing her hand against his neck to warm it up.

Esme parted her lips against his, allowing him to slide his tongue against hers while his arm left her hand and slid around her waist to pull her even closer.

She ran her hands up and locked her arms around his neck, breaking the kiss to take a break and get some air.

George rested his forehead against hers, looking down at her. Her eyes were shut, a small smile resting on her lips.

And then they were kissing again.

-

Esme felt flustered. She sat in bed, the duvet pulled up, covering her naked chest.

"Fucking hell..." George breathed, pulling on his trousers while Esme stared into the room. "...Es."

She didn't respond. She hadn't heard him. She was lost in her own mind, thinking about what had just happened.

Her and George...

One moment they were kissing and suddenly they were on the bed. He asked multiple times if she wanted to go through with it, and she did. She really did.

But now she regretted it.

"Esme." George dropped down to his knees next to the bed, catching her attention. "What's wrong?"

She shrugged.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asked. "I didn't— did I do something you didn't want?"

"No. No not at all." Esme shook her head. "I just wish we didn't do it."

"Oh..."

George felt the sting in his chest at her words. This was exactly what he was afraid of. She'd regret being with him.

"Did I—" George took a deep breath and leaned closer to Esme. "...was I—

"George. You were great." Esme said, gently running her hand over his shoulder. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?" He asked softly, and Esme shook her head, shutting her eyes.

"It wasn't supposed to happen like this. I feel like I failed myself."

"What are you talking about? Explain it to me." George got onto the bed, sitting behind her.

"What if it won't work out?" She asked as he rested his head on her shoulder. "If we try this and we find out we don't work as a couple. It would've been fine if it had just been a few kisses, but sex? Sex changes everything."

"It doesn't have to."

"But it does!" Esme snapped. "It does and now it's all just fucked."

"Essie..." George sighed. "...why are you worrying about a possible outcome? Let's just take it one day at a time. We'll figure it out together, if you want."

But Esme didn't respond. She couldn't get out of her own head which was filled with worries.

"Do you want me to leave?" George asked, and after Esme nodded, he left.