Thirty-four

After charms class, Esme slowly gathered her things, yawning.

She was tired. While she did sleep for most of the night, she spent most hours on the sofa and that wasn't the most comfortable place to sleep.

She was the last one to leave the classroom. She made sure she had everything and then threw the bag over her shoulder.

As she turned to walk down the corridor, she stopped.

George was leaning against the wall, waiting for her but when his eyes landed on her, he pushed himself off the wall and closer to her.

"Don't you have class?" Esme asked, pulling her hair out of the ponytail.

It was still a mess. She hadn't brushed it today so she just used her fingers while she waited for George to say something.

"I— I'd like to talk to you." He said. "If you have time."

"Well, I've got Defence Against the Dark Arts right now. I—"

Esme stopped talking when she saw her dad.

He entered through one end of the corridor, walking in one of his suits. He looked like he came here on his way to work.

"Dad?"

David looked towards the sound of his daughter, at the same time as George looked back.

"Hi sweetheart." David offered his daughter a smile.

"What are you doing? Where're you going?"

David reached the two teenagers, and he stopped walking for a quick chat with his daughter.

"I need to have a chat with Professor Umbridge." He said. "It'll be quick and then I'm off to work."

"Umbridge?" Esme asked. "What? Why?"

David let out a sigh and then shook his head. "Don't worry about that. What class are you heading to now?"

"Well, Defence Against the Dark Arts, but I'll take it she's going to be late?"

David shook his head.

"Wouldn't count on it. It won't take long." He pulled his daughter into a hug. "I'll come see you before I leave."

Esme didn't answer. She just nodded and then David turned towards George.

"It was nice seeing you, George."

"You too, Mr Night." George nodded and David smiled before he continued his way down the corridor, leaving towards the DADA classroom.

"Es?" George asked, trying to catch Esme's attention, but she tried figuring out what her dad wanted to talk to her teacher about. "About that talk? Could we..."

"What?" She looked at him. "Oh. Right... right. Can it wait? I really need to get to class. I don't want Umbridge to get mad. I can't do that right now."

"Es—"

But Esme has already made her way down the hallway, following after her father. She didn't want him to know she was following him.

David wouldn't tell his daughter the truth if she asked for it. He wouldn't tell her what he had to talk to Umbridge about.

He disappeared into the classroom and after a moment, Esme walked in.

Her dad wasn't in the room, but she could hear voices coming from Umbridge's office.

Esme snuck closer and carefully made her way up the stairs before leaning against the wall outside of the office, listening to the faint voices.