Twenty-one

Suddenly it was quiet at the one spot at the Gryffindor table where the friend group sat.

Only Lee was talking. Like usual, he couldn't read the room so he sat there and rambled on about the future while Esme was eating to stop herself from speaking.

The twins were quiet, both upset that they had been banned from Quidditch, and while they sat there in silence, Esme also kept glancing up at Umbridge who ate breakfast in satisfaction.

If looks could kill, Umbridge would most definitely be dead, and Esme would be sentenced to Azkaban for murder.

When she wasn't looking at Umbridge, she was looking at the table or at George, admiring the beauty of his face.

His features were more soft compared to Fred, his face a little longer. His nose had a small bump on it and his face was a bit more narrow than his brothers.

His eyebrows were in a small frown, lips pressed together in a thin line.

It was an expression Esme recognised. That's the way he looked when he was upset and angry at the same time but didn't know how to show it.

He wasn't eating.

Esme watched him, the way his arms were folded on the table, his fists closed and clutching the material of his robes in anger, then letting go again as he let out a breath.

He repeated it several times, trying to calm himself down.

Then he looked at Esme, catching her staring, and his entire body relaxed. Their eyes met and he couldn't stop but noticing the freckles on her face.

Normally, she covered them up, but today she wasn't wearing much makeup and George thought she looked stunning when she let her freckles be visible.

Her black in her hair had faded and it was a dark brown now. Her hair was pulled back in a high ponytail and her blue eyes looked dark in the lighting of the Great Hall.

The only makeup Esme was wearing today, was winged eyeliner and mascara.

Her lips were full and George wanted nothing but to kiss them right now, so he did.

He reached across the table, cupped one side of her jaw and pressed his lips to hers.

She gasped at the sudden action but then she melted and kissed him back. Immediately, the great hall erupted into cheers, people whistling while younger students complained about how disgusting it was.

Esme and George could hear Lee die with laughter while Fred gasped and let throwing questions at them that neither of them could ask with their mouths moving in sync together.

"Mr Weasley! Miss Night!" A very high-pitched voice echoed through the hall and George then realised what sort of trouble he just put them both into.

With the use of magic, George was pulled from Esme until he stood in the middle of the aisle.

Esme was a shocked at how forward George had been and then she turned her attention on Umbridge.

"What kind of behaviour is this?!" She was angry. Really angry. "Mr Weasley, see me in detention at five."

Then she turned towards Esme.

"And you... one weeks worth of detention."

"What?!" Fred exclaimed and stood up but Umbridge sent him a certain look that caused him to sink back into his seat.

Esme's eyes were wide and George stared at Umbridge in confusion as to why he got a single night of detention but she got an entire week.

"C'mon, that isn't fair. I started it!"

"That's not the way I saw it." Umbridge said and Fred stood up again.

"You must be absolutely fucking blind then."

"Mr Weasley!" Umbridge turned towards Fred. "Foul language gets you a detention as well. You can join Miss Night and your brother in detention tonight."

"She didn't do anything!" George raised his voice, gesturing towards Esme who stared at the table.

She could feel her heart beat rapidly against her rib cage.

She had never gotten a detention with Umbridge before and she knew the kind of torture that took place.

She was scared.

"Dolores..." Dumbledore was walking down the aisle and Umbridge turned to face him.

"No, Dumbledore. Do I have to remind you of educational decree number twenty-five, giving me the power of control when it comes to punishments?"

"It isn't fair that she gets a week, when he gets a day!" Fred spoke and the attention turned back to him. "You don't even have a reason!"

"I don't have to have a reason." Umbridge said but then looked at me. "But I do. I won't accept girls whoring around at Hogwarts."

Esme felt a lump in her throat.

Umbridge just called her a whore in front of everyone in the Great Hall, and Esme felt humiliated.

She stood up, locked eyes with Elliott across the room who had stood up in anger but then she looked away, stepped off the bench and hurried out of the Great Hall.

She didn't head for the stairs.

Instead she hurried out into the courtyard. It was cold outside. It was November, but Esme didn't care.

She had left her winked robes in the great hall on the bench and she had no intent on going back to get it.

She walked around the corner and into the arched hallway that surrounded the courtyard.

She slid down the hard and cold stone wall and pulled her knees up to her chest, closing her eyes while she put her chin on her knees.

She no longer enjoyed being in school. She wanted to leave but she still had a year and a half left.

Esme cried silently against her knees until she looked up when she saw Elliott sit down next to her.

They didn't say anything to each other. Just sat in silence and when Esme started crying again, Elliott wrapped his arm around her, letting her lean into him.

"I miss my mum." She whispered and by admitting that, she started crying harder, having to press a hand against her mouth to drown the sound.

"I know." Elliott whispered against her hair.

Esme pulled her head away so she could look at him, while she wiped her cheeks.

"I haven't told you how she died." She said as she sobbed. "They murdered her, El. Those death eaters. I hope they all fucking die."

Elliott gulped.

In a months time, he'd be a death eater — one of the people that Esme wanted dead.

Then George showed up, carrying Esme's winter robes. He saw her sit there, next to Elliott with mascara running down her cheeks.

When Esme saw him, she started crying again. She got to her feet and walked into his embrace.

He put the winter robes around her shoulders and then wrapped his arms around her, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"I hate Umbridge." She whispered against George's shoulder. "I hope she falls off the astronomy tower and dies."

George didn't like to hear her talk like that.

Esme Eileen Night had never wished death upon anyone. Once she made it very specific that she wouldn't even wish it upon her worst enemy, but here she was, wishing death upon Dolores Umbridge as well as every single death eater out there.