Seventeen

Angelina left, slamming the door as hard as she possibly could.

Esme and George were left behind and neither of them had absolutely no idea what to say.

Esme's mind was racing and then she did what she did best when she was feeling awkward.

She talked.

"Did you know that the blue moon isn't actually blue? It's just the term of two full moons within a month. It's got nothing to do with colour." She said, and George looked at her. "The last blue moon was in August of this year and the next will be in nineteen-ninety-nine."

George didn't answer.

"Then there is the blood moon, the super moon, harvest moon, pink moon, strawberry moon, micro moon—"

"Essie." George spoke and Esme looked at him, taking a deep breath.

"Blue Moon is my favourite though." She said quietly. "I like full moons and I love getting to see two in a month."

"Es, about what I said—"

"Nope." Esme shook her head. "It's okay... you don't have to say anything. It's cool. You needed a way out of your relationship and you used me as an excuse. That's fine."

"Oh c'mon!" George exclaimed. "It wasn't an excuse! I'm in love with you!"

Esme made a face and it looked like his words physically hurt her. She clenched her hands by her sides.

"How can you not know?" He asked. "It's so fucking obvious!"

"Well maybe I don't want to believe it!" Esme yelled, taking a step towards him. "Until five seconds ago, you were dating Angelina and you just broke up with her by telling her you are in love with me! And you did it in front of me! If I were here, I'd be humiliated!"

George sat down. Esme was right and he knew it. He hadn't wanted to do it like that, but he had been so tired of holding it in, especially because the feelings for Esme didn't go away.

He shook his head and put it in his hands, closing his eyes and sighing.

"I'm not good at this." He said quietly. "I try to do good and I fail. I try to do the right thing and I end up saying the wrong things. Fred is way better at these things than I am. He's way better than I am."

Esme frowned as she saw his insecurities shine through. His fear of him being the worst twin.

She sighed.

"You're the more compassionate twin." She said. "Sometimes. Mostly."

He looked up at her.

"You're better at the whole boundary thing when it comes to pranks. You're better at knowing when to stop tickling me, when it gets too much for me. Don't tell Fred I said this, but you're also the smarter twin."

George cracked a small smile. This was so not helping those feelings he had.

"You go along when Fred comes up with something and you pull back if it gets too much. You're better at being serious in serious situations and you're better at being helpful. You're emotional and I love that about you. I've always been quite closer to you, and the reason is all of the above."

As Esme finished talking, realisation hit her like a brick.

She had feelings for George Weasley and the way he was smiling up at her right now, wasn't helping one bit.

How come she hadn't realised it before. All of the signs were there. Through the years, the feelings had grown.

She had different boyfriends but it had always been him.

Even when she was with Elliott. She loved Elliott but now she realised that it wasn't love in the same way.

It didn't feel the same as what she felt now that she looked at George, saw him smile while having realised those feelings she had.

"I have to go." Esme said and quickly got out of there, breathing heavily at the realisation.

Angelina had stopped practice for the day, and Esme found Fred in the common room.

"I have to talk to you." She said and dragged him with her up into her dorm where she started getting out of her muddy uniform.

"Es, what are you..."

"Turn around." She said, and he did.

When Esme had gotten into something comfortable, she turned towards him.

"I'm in love with George." She said, and the second Fred heard his twin brother's name leave her mouth, he spun around.

His eyes were wide.

"You're in love with George!" He exclaimed. "Fucking finally! I thought you'd never realise!"

"Shut up!" Esme groaned and walked over to her bed, dropping onto it, face first into the pillow. "Why is this happening now? Elliott just broke up with me."

"Eh." Fred shrugged. "Been weeks."

Esme sat up and looked at him.

"Weeks isn't very long, Frederick!"

Fred laughed and held up his hands in surrender before approaching the bed, swinging himself under the frame, landing at the foot of her bed.

"We have to celebrate this!" He said. "You're in love with my brother!"

"And he's in love with me..." Esme sighed, throwing her head against Fred's arm while groaning out loud.

"Oh, he finally told you, did he?"

"You knew?!" Esme's voice was high-pitched and she sat up straight, looking at him. "You knew and you didn't tell me?!"

"Well, wasn't exactly my place to say." He shrugged. "And I tried to drop hints but you're so fucking oblivious almost all of the time!"

Again, Esme sighed.

She couldn't believe this day. They were just supposed to have been practicing and then all of this drama happened and now she didn't know what to do.

Her and George loved each other, but Esme was scared to jump into anything with him, especially after just having dated Elliott.

She didn't want to be seen as a slut.

"Did all of this happen in the dressing rooms?" Fred asked Esme who nodded instantly, fidgeting with her own fingers.

"He broke up with Angie." She explained. "I think she felt humiliated. He told her that he's in love with me, and when she left I started talking about moons."

Esme cried out as the embarrassment filled her cheeks, and Fred's laughter roared through the walls while he laid down on his back, head leaned back over the edge, a hand on his stomach.

"Don't laugh!" Esme exclaimed. "I didn't know what to say! It was awkward and you know how I get..."

Fred couldn't stop laughing. Esme found him annoying. She needed him to give her advice, not laugh at her.

"I actually hate you." Esme said while Fred continued to laugh. "I really fucking do."