Twenty-two

The three friends showed up for detention around five o'clock.

Esme was terrified. This would be her first detention with Umbridge, and Esme hated pain.

But she had George so she was sure it was going to be alright.

All day, Fred had been grilling Esme and George about their kiss in the Great Hall and if they were officially together.

They hadn't told him or anybody about that kiss in the dressing room and they weren't going to tell Fred either.

Though they did tell him that they'd go on a date this weekend. They wanted to try and see if they'd work together as a couple of if they were better off friends.

They didn't want to just jump into it. If they did and they didn't work out, their friendship would be at risk, so rather ease into it so they could back out again if it wasn't working.

"I think I'm gonna throw up." Esme muttered as she stared at the door to Umbridge's office.

George reached down and took her hand in his, giving it a squeeze while Fred knocked on the door.

A voice came from the other side and Fred looked back at us before opening the door, leading the way in.

Umbridge sat behind her desk.

"Close the door." She instructed, and George did.

Then Umbridge stood up and looked at the three of us.

"You two—" she pointed between Fred and George. "...will not be writing lines."

All three looked confused and Fred and George exchanged a look over Esme's head.

"But you... Miss Night..." Umbridge walked around her desk until she stood in front of Esme. "...you will."

Esme cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry but I don't under—"

"You'll write lines while your friends watch." She said. "I observed the friendship you've got going on when they both happened to defend you in the Great Hall. It seems as my regular punishments doesn't do the work for them, so maybe this will."

Esme stared blankly at her.

This woman was crazy. She was going to torture her and she was going to make her best friends watch it.

"You have no right doing this." Esme said and Umbridge just smiled sweetly at her, a smile that Esme wanted to rip off her face. "Give me one good reason as to why I should write lines and they shouldn't? Give me one good reason as to why I have to sit here for an entire week when they don't."

"As I've told you, Miss Night. I don't need a reason."

Esme laughed through gritted teeth.

"Bullshit!"

"Do you want to make it two weeks?"

"Ess—" George tried quietly but Esme didn't listen.

"This is because of my dad, isn't it?" Esme asked. "You went to school with him and you chased after him and then he chose my mum instead of you. You worked with him—"

"He worked for me."

"And you harassed him at work!" Esme raised raised my voice. "Then he quit! You're angry at him so you've decided to have it out for his daughter, am I right?!"

"Essie, back off." Fred whispered. Neither he or George wanted to see her get into anymore trouble, but after what she just said, it wasn't looking good.