: 14 :

==+==+==+==

"Son of a bitch," Stella said under her breath. Anger radiated off her body. And then you could feel her guilt. Possibly from the fact, Lilac could've been here if she never decided to start something with Carlo years ago.

"Stella, I'll call you later. I need to call Andre about it."

Before Scarlett could hang up, she asked a question she never thought she would've never had to ask. "There will be chaos, a lot of it, so what if Andre did it? Who's side would you be on?"

"Stella..."

"I have to ask. I know you love him to the point you'd do anything for him, so where does that put me?" Stella asked, already starting to feel afraid of what she would say.

Whether Andre was the one to make the decision, it wouldn't really have mattered because Carlo was a third. High up in the ranks, not the highest, but high. The Marcello Family all sticks together, just like every other family. If something happens to one of them, you're messing with all of them.

There could be an easier answer which would be for Andre to give up Carlo, but he wouldn't do that. 

Not with the brotherhood they have.

"I'm going to pick him. I'm sorry, Stella, but I finally let someone love me, I finally let myself love someone else. I'm not letting him go."

She was taken back. It was like a stab to the heart. A rush of emotions took over her body. She was hurt, baffled. She never expected to hear that leave Scarlett's mouth, not in a million years. Scarlett had become family to her, they were supposed to stick together. They were supposed to have each other's back no matter what, but the moment Scarlett found someone else, she was an option.

The rest stopped chatting the moment they heard a pang and saw the fork sticking out of the wall. 

Stella threw the fork at the wall.

She frowned, "So that's it? It was all, 'I have your back, don't worry,' until you find a lover. We've been through a lot of things, and this is how you're going to throw it away?"

"Stella, don't act like you wouldn't choose Luca over us."

Scarlett kept shocking her left and right. "You're right, I would, but it wouldn't be a choice I willingly decided. That's the difference between us that I didn't even know we had. I'd choose you guys over him any day even if it hurts me because we made an oath. A sister oath."

"I don't give a crap about the oath. I'm breaking it."

"Scarlett, I can't lose another person..." Her voice was still stern, but also soft.

"Don't be selfish," Scarlett responded plainly before ending the call.

This wasn't what she expected, but she was selfish. She knew she was, whether the vow was a thing or not. If Scarlett had chosen her, Scarlett may never get a happy ending. And Andre was perfect for her, one of a kind. Scarlett could never find another person like him.

It hurt, definitely. Not something she wanted to hear after the death of her best friend, but she should've expected it because people come and go on their own will. 

Nothing lasts forever.

Zane put a hand on her shoulder, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just need to make another phone call," she responded, before getting up from her seat and leaving the room.

"She didn't even finish her breakfast," Arlo stated.

Luca smacked the back of his head, "You really think she would have the appetite."