SEVENTEEN

Update 17
Word count: 1644

Navya looked at me with a pleading smile while we all watched her father arrive with a bouquet and sweet box in his hand.
"Congratulations my son!" Ravi uncle patted my back and hugged me.
I smiled nodding but uncle made me eat the whole freaking laddoo by stuffing it in my mouth.

"You've made all us Indians proud by securing 1st position." He said and I looked at Navya who was trying to pull her father back from my embrace. From the day 1, uncle has liked me more than Cabir and Smaran. He thinks they're indisciplined, useless and alcoholic brats. Well, he's right.

"Papa, please. You're going to choke him." Navya freaked and finally uncle let go of me. Nandini stood silently noticing everything while Inaaya and Smaran were stealing glances. Eww!

"Manik beta, can you give me your mother's number?" Uncle asked as I looked at him puzzled.
"Why uncle?" I asked.
"We elders have lot to talk beta." He said chuckling as I took out my phone.

"Manik, can you come with me?" Navya called grabbing my hand. Handing the sweet box and bouquet, I went with her. Cabir didn't care and started eating the sweets. I saw Nandini talking to uncle.
"Papa wants us to get married." She dropped the bomb and I gaped her in amazement.

"What!" I shouted and she calmed me down.
"Sshh. That is why he's asking aunty's number. So don't give him." She said and I calmed down.
"Don't worry. I'll handle it." I said reassuring her.
"And please please talk about Cabir to papa. I'm sure he'll listen to you." Navya pleaded.

"Sure Navya. Now come on, or else he'll get us married now itself seeing us talking together." I said and she chuckled shaking her head.
"Navya! She's your mom's bestfriend, Kavitha Murthy's daughter." Uncle exclaimed and I looked at her.
"Kavitha aunty's daughter? Okay! So you're Abhi's sister!" Navya said hugging Nandini as I rolled my eyes and looked aside.

"I heard he got married." Smaran intervened and uncle left us youngsters to talk.
"Yes, 3 years before." Nandini said smiling.
"How's his wife, the Mukti Vardhan Murthy?" Cabir asked and Nandini's face lightened as she heard her name.
"She's the best. She's doing good." She said grinning and I got more irritated.

"Navya! She's not staying here." I voiced out and her face fell.
"But Manik, if the site manager stays in our house as paying guest, then our jobs would be secure right?" Navya asked.
"Cabir!" I gritted my teeth as he was the one who pointed out this idea.

"What is this Navya? We were going to stay in the hotel but you forced us to vacate it. Now what is this nonsense?" She started shouting.
"Nandini-" Navya started to talk when I intervened.
"Navya! I'm saying for the last time. She can't stay here. Or else-"
"Or else what?" Navya asked in anger.

"I will ask uncle to get me married to you." I said while Cabir stopped eating. He looked at me horrified while Smaran started coughing.
"Are Nandini beta, get inside you might be tired. Inaaya you too go with her." Uncle came and announced.
She nodded and smiled at him as I looked aside controlling my anger.