TWENTY TWO

Update 22
Word count: 1589

"Stop laughing Nandini." Abhimanyu screamed.
"Don't be so loud Mr.Murthy. Get up." She said and walked away.
Cabir and Navya looked at us.
"What just happened?" Navya asked and Mukti shook her head. She helped Abhi get up.

"Guys, enjoy. Don't worry. I'll handle." Smaran said and ran out. I followed him.
"What did you do nandu? Abhi bhai will kill you." He shouted.
"Stop it Smaran. He's crossed his limits this time." She too raised her voice.
Wait, how did Smaran know Abhi?

"Just because you're his brother, don't defend him. You know what he did." She said and I widened my eyes.
Okay, Smaran was Abhimanyu's brother. Why did he have to lie about his identity?
"Common nandu. Bhai has always been there for you. When Manik left you, when Amms died, when Mukti suffered. He's never left our family's back. You shouldn't despise him." He said.

"That doesn't justify his behaviour and words Smaran. I know, he has always stood for us. But that day, he crossed a line. He attacked my emotional barrier. He triggered my wall. He has to face my resentment for a while. I just want him to realise his mistake." Nandini said almost breaking down.

Smaran held her and rubbed her shoulder. She subsided her cries and came towards the entrance of the dance floor. I immediately went back to Mukti and others. She smiled at me when she saw me, talking to Maa and Baba. I returned her a small smile.

The next morning, I woke up early as it was the wedding day. Haldi was the first function and in the night, both the couple's wedding were to be held. And a part of me, wasn't excited at all as it would be the last days of Nandini here. She would go back to India after the contract ends with Axe constructions.

I finished showering and wore a yellow kurta over a white pant. Wearing shades and other accessories, I moved out of my room. I saw Nandini in a yellow top and palazo, making her look perfect. Her big earrings kept moving near her neck and it made a soothing sound.

She waved her hand at me and smiled. I nodded and went near her. Mukti, Alya, Abhi and Dhruv were already there, arranging for the ceremony. Maa, Baba came late as they had gone out with Navya's parents, to bring something.

First, Cabir and Smaran had to be applied the haldi. After we applied it over them, we  all came back with their haldi.
Me and Nandini held the opposite sides of the chunri, over Navya and Inaaya's head.
First Navya's parents, then Maa-baba, then Mukti, then Alya, then Dhruv and Abhi, and other relatives applied the haldi over the girls.

It was Nandini's turn and Mukti took the veil from her while Abhi grabbed it from my hand. I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour.
"Congrats Navya." She said and applied haldi on her face. Navya smiled brightly.
"Inaaya, you better take good care of him." Nandini chuckled and hugged Inaaya.

I went next and took a hand full of haldi. Literally massaging it over their faces, I hugged them both as they laughed out loud.
"Manik! You monster!" Navya screamed. I chuckled and pinched her cheek.
"Thanks Manik. You ruined my dress perfectly." Inaaya said sarcastically as I smiled sheepishly.

I got up and looked Nandini's face losing its colour. I saw in the direction she was staring and saw to elderly couple, with a man coming towards us. Abhimanyu went towards them and touched their feet. Then he hugged the man. Nandini lifted her palazo and went near them, almost running.