NINETEEN

Update 19
Word count: 1537

"Babe! Need some company?" I heard one of them shout. Irritated, I drove back when one of them pushed her inside the car. I honked louder and they turned at me.
One of them was holding her by her arm. Looking at her bruise on the other palm, I honked louder, putting all the anger on it.

"Take another way man! Get out." One of them came towards me as I stepped out of the car. I kept glaring at her.
He held my collar and my shirt button broke.
"You dont know what trouble you're gonna land into!" He shouted holding my collar.
"You broke my shirt button." I said glaring at him.

I started thrashing him badly when the other four surrounded me. Hitting everyone, I vented out all the frustration on them while Nandini was just staring at me wide eyed.
When I pushed one of them, who held her, to the car and hit his back badly, she looked at me surprised.
"How dare you touch my shirt button!" I shouted and hit him more harder.

The police arrived and Nandini started fearing.
"Manik stop." She said but I didn't pay any heed to her.
"Stop." She shouted but I didn't. The police neared us.
"Stop it!" She shouted and I let him go.
She shouted the same way, when I was thrashing the goon in the railway station, when we met for the first time.

I looked at her as the police surrounded me. They held me by my hands.
"Leave! I'm not one of them." I shouted and she looked at me in disbelief.
"Officer he's innocent." Nandini said as the police handcuffed me.
"Officer she's lying!" One of them shouted.

"Officer they're lying. They tried to misbehave with me and he saved me." She said and I got irritated.
"They tore my shirt button! That is why I thrashed them." I said.
"Will you shut up or not!" She scolded me as I kept quiet.

"Do you know this guy?" The police asked.
"Yes he's my boyfriend." Nandini said without any hesitation. I looked at her and she realised what she had blurted.
"Stay right there. We'll clear this confusion." As the police removed the handcuff, I stood straight and adjusted my sleeves.

"Manik, I'm sorry. In tension, I said them you're my boyfriend." She mumbled.
"Hmm." I nodded and started leaving.
"Manik!" She called out again.
"If you don't mind, please drop me home." She asked and I nodded.

The police checked the CCTV footage and declared me as innocent. After half an hour, we reached the airport and Nandini's private jet was waiting for us.
We took off as we sat working in our laptops and spending time.

"Manik, can I say something?" She asked.
"Hmm." I nodded.
"That day, when we fought in the college, I tried to think in your point of view." She said and I looked away, not meeting her gaze.
"I was at fault. I'm sorry." She apologised.
"Hmm." I said and she smiled lowering her head.

After a while, she again started speaking.
"Did you ever think about being in my shoes?" She asked.
"No." I said immediately.
"Huh?" She asked looking at me in bewilderment.
"As you accepted that it was your mistake, why would want to think being in your place?" I said and she looked at me puzzled.