Chapter 5... Nightmares

"Y/n, run!" A girl yells.

I turn to look behind me, seeing soldiers marching towards us, down one long hallway.

I turn forward again, bolting towards the girl. She stood on the other side of a long empty pit, just outside a doorway.

As I slowly reached the edge, I stopped. The soldiers were coming closer.

"Y/n, you have to jump!" She yells.

I back up a little, hesitating. What if I didn't make it?

"Y/n, hurry!!" She yells again. The soldiers were only steps behind me. I bolt forwards, leaping across the large pit. I make it to the other side, just barely grasping onto the edge. The girl grabs my arm, pulling me up over the edge. I lay there for a moment, my breath heavy.

"Come on, we have to go, now!" She shouts as she stands, lending me a hand. I take it and we begin to bolt off as a bridge forms, filling the gap I previously jumped. The girl runs beside me, as we bolt down another hallway.

Suddenly I feel a sharp, electric pain overcome my body. I scream out as I fall to my knees in pain.

"Y/N!!" The girl screams, staring at me.

"GO! RUN!" I yell through the shock. She hesitates.

"Please..!" I mutter, as the soldiers reach me. They shoot their tasers towards the girl but she's too quick, as she runs off.

The shock finally stops as a man comes into my view. I fall forward onto the ground completely, out of breath and covered in sweat.

"You two make quite the scene, you know. You're lucky I don't kill you, sweetheart." The man takes a needle from one of the soldiers, stabbing it into my arm and injecting me with something.

"No.. No..! NOO!" I yelled as I tried to fight it. But it was too late.

...

"Y/n! Hey!! Wake up!" A male voice yells, shaking me.

My eyes shoot open as I sit up, covered in sweat and tears.

"Hey, hey it's okay." Newt tries to calm me down. My chest rises and falls rapidly.

"You're alright, you're safe.." he mumbled, pulling me into a warm embrace. He gently rubs my back.

"You're okay.." He mutters.

My breathing calms as I wrap my arms around him, digging my head into his shoulder. I close my eyes for a moment.

He then pulls away, looking at me. I was in my hammock. He was crouched down in front of me, a concerned expression on his face.

"You were screaming in your sleep. Just screaming "No" over and over.." He rests his hand on my knee.

"It was uhm.. a nightmare.." I mumble, taking a deep breath as I wipe the sweat and tears from my face.

He frowns. "What was it about..?" He asks quietly. The rest of the boys must have woke up and left before he woke me.

"I uhm.. it was just.. I got locked in the maze.. that's all.. I uhm, don't really wanna talk about it..." I let out a shaky breath. He gently nods.

"It's alright, I get it.. I'm just worried, that's all.. are you sure you're okay?" He asks.

I stay silent, unsure how to answer. He only nods.

"Hey, is she alright?" A voice asks behind Newt. Thomas steps over, concerned.

"Uhm.. yeah. Just a nightmare." Newt responds. Thomas nods, eyeing me.

"You want to talk about it?" He asks.

"Not really.. I just Uh, wanna get up and get busy.." I mumble. They both nod.

"Alright well, let's go then." Newt stands, offering me a hand. I take it and he pulls me up. They both hug me, causing me to laugh.

"Race you to the garden?" Newt asks. We both look at Thomas who has a smug expression on his face, thinking he'd win.

"Absolutely." We both say synchronously.

We all take off, dodging the hammocks and we make it out of the bedroom. We race towards the garden, across the field. Newt staggers behind, Thomas and I leading the race. I slowly begin to pass Thomas, until I'm in the lead. I make it to the garden first, letting myself stumble forward and fall to the ground, out of breath.

"Holy shit," Thomas mumbles, leaning forward on his knees as he makes it over. Newt follows.

"How the hell did you do that?" Newt asks.

"I have no idea.." I mumble, but smirk.

"But I won." I grin.

They roll their eyes, and suddenly we hear quit clapping. I turn around, to be faced with Teresa.

She claps as she walks over to us. I stand from the dirt, wiping it off myself the best I can.

"You beat the boys, good job." She smiles at me.

"Yes I did, I beat their slow asses." I grin. They roll their eyes, causing me to only grin more.

I could feel Teresa's gaze on me. I glance at her, and she walks closer, brushing at my back. I raise an eyebrow, and she holds out a leaf.

"Oh-" I chuckle, "Thanks."

She simply nods, and returns to her work.

I walk over to Newt and Thomas, now out of her earshot.

"Is it just me, or does she give off a bad vibe.." I mumble. They both shake their heads. I sigh.

Thomas heads off to go help Minho with something in the map hut. Newt and I stay back, picking berries and what-not, our usual jobs.