Chapter 10... Box Cure

Third Person POV

Alby stares down at the girl, restrained by her arms and legs to a cot.

It was obvious she was in discomfort, while unconscious. She tosses and turns in her unintentional slumber.

"Alby I swear if you-" Newt runs into the hut, cut off by Alby.

"Swear if I what? Put her out of her misery? Banish her? Look at her, Newt.." Alby frowns as he stares at the girl. They patched her stomach up, but the infection on her leg had spread much further. It was ever so slowly climbing up her thigh.

"Please, Alby.." The boy mutters.

Suddenly, the girl lurches forward, her eyes wide open, and screaming.

"Y/N!" Newt yells. He and Alby force her back down in the cot.

She's unconscious again.

"We-" Alby is cut off by the sound of an alarm, and concrete on concrete.

Yells of the doors closing spread through the Glade, and then ones of the box coming up.

Alby bolts out of the hut.

A small crowd surrounds the box, and Alby pushes his way through.

"I thought they were through sending us stuff.." He mutters, as he hops into the box. On the ground sits a box, and inside a vial.

"There's a note... it says.. it can help her..?" Alby mutters. He climbs out and as soon as he does, the box shuts and goes back down.

He holds the vial...

...

"Alby, what was it?" Newt asks, rushing to his superiors side.

"It's.. I think it's a cure.." He whispers quietly.

"Somebody get me a syringe, now!" He yells. A medjack rushes over, and he fills the liquid into it.

"Alby, what if it kills her?" Newt says, as Thomas and Teresa rush in.

"It's the only chance we have at saving her, we've lost so many others..." Alby glances at Newt.

Newt steps out of the way, looking at Y/n. Alby hesitates for a moment, before stabbing the syringe into her leg, pushing the liquid in. He tosses the empty syringe away.

It's quiet, as they anticipate something— anything to happen.

Suddenly, the girl lurches forward again, eyes wide open, as she screams. Thomas and Newt force her back down as she yells in pain.

Y/n's POV

I suddenly awaken, lurching forward. I scream out in pain as I feel two sets of hands push me back down. I cry out.

"What the he- hell.." I mutter, catching my breath. I squeeze my eyes shut.

My leg feels like it's on fire. My stomach aches. My chest rises and falls rapidly.

"Here, bite down on this." A voice says, as a rag appears in front of my face, I bite down on it, hard.

"Guys, her leg.. look-" Another voice says.

"It's- it's not black anymore..? How is that possible?"

"I'm not sure... but that means it's healing.. right?"

"I think... we've never seen anything like this before.. but it doesn't look infected.. so.. we'll be able to tell in the next few hours.." a males voice says.

I open my eyes again, looking around. I see a medjack shuffling off, Alby standing at the foot of my bed. Thomas on one side, Newt on the other. And Teresa.

I avoid her gaze, glancing at Newt. I spit the rag out.

"Hi Newt.." I mumble. He smiles a little, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Hi." He greets.

"Y/n, do you have the urge to kill any of us..?" Alby asks me. I shake my head.

"No... I don't.. what did you guys do to me?" I ask. I lift my arms, but they don't go too far.

"We uhm.. just a precaution..." Thomas responds. I nod a little.

"How are you feeling?" Newt asks. I glance at him.

"My leg feels like it's on fire.. my stomach.. it hurts. And my head is pounding." I say, as I try to adjust the way I'm laying. I grimace, clenching my jaw.

"Okay.. The medjacks will be keeping an eye on you. The box sent a, a cure up.. for the sting." Alby says. I stare at him for a second, but nod gently.

"I'll let you get some rest, Boys, Teresa, make sure not to bother her for too long." Alby waves, and exits the hut.

An awkward silence lingers in the room for a moment before I speak up again.

"Newt, I-" He cuts me off, shaking his head.

"No, Y/n, it's fine... it wasn't you." He flashed me a smile. I just nod. I glance at Thomas who also gives me a small smile.

I shift a little, so I can see Teresa. She has a few bruises and cuts on her face. I frown a little, but quickly look away.

She clears her throat, "Guys would you uhm... mind giving us the room?" She asks. They look at her, then me, and nod, leaving.

She waits until she knows they're out of earshot.

"Y/n, I'm sorry for-" I quickly cut her off, "Sorry for what? Defending yourself? Don't be..."

She sighs, "I'm sorry for being a prick while you couldn't control yourself."

I stay silent, nodding.

"I'm sorry for trying to kill you, heh.. I uh... I didn't trust you before I got stung.. I guess it just made it worse.." I mutter.

"Do you trust me now?" She asks, sitting down in a chair beside my cot.

I look away from her. "I'm not sure.."

"Well... we'll figure it out.. but uh, Alby says once you get better you can stay in the treehouse if you want." She hums, changing the subject to a bit of a more cheery one.

"Really?" I ask, pausing, "Wait, isn't there blood.. like, staining the floor?" I ask.

She nods, "Yeah.. we put a rug over it though."

I smile a little.

The two of us continue talking for a few hours, before I end up falling back asleep. Hell is over... for now.