Chapter 22... Device

I stare down at her unconscious body. I hit her hard enough to break skin.

"I truly am sorry, Teresa.." I mutter quietly, before quickly rushing off through the woods.

I make it to the treehouse, climbing up the ladder. I shut the hatch behind me, and race to my trunk.

I grab a bag, throwing in my clothes, and other necessities. Glancing around, I grab a piece of paper, and a pen.

'Dear Teresa...
You probably hate me. For knocking you out. For running.
We both know I'm more of a runner, though.
I'm sorry, truly. I can't stay here any longer.
It's easier if I go willingly.

Don't be sad. You have Thomas. He'll always be there for you.

We'll never see eachother again.
I couldn't say this before but..

I love you.
-Y/n <3'

I place the note on the couch, throwing the bag over my shoulder and hopping down the ladder.

I sneak off, finding myself at the runner's hut, where the map is. Thomas and Minho talk too much.

I glance inside, seeing nobody. I sneak in, and rummage through baskets.

"Here it is.." I mumble to myself, pulling out the device that Thomas found in one of the Greivers. It reads 6 on it.

I turn to the table, looking over it.

"Six.." I mutter. There's a portion of the map that is labeled six.

"That's where I'll go then.." I whisper.

"Go where? And what the hell are you doing in here, you know the rules." I hear a voice say behind me. I freeze, slowly turning around.

"Oh, hi there.. Thomas.." I mumble.

He eyes me suspiciously, "What are you doing with the device?"

"Just uhm, examining it. That's all.." I mutter.

"Yeah right, give it to me." He demands, stepping closer. I back away from him.

"Fuck you, Thomas," I glare at him, quickly shoving it into my bag.

"Y/n-" I cut him off by bolting behind him, and out the door. I hear him tailing me, but I speed up.

"Stop!" He yells, but I ignore him.

"What the hell?!" Somebody else yells. I run until I reach the maze. I stop, turning to face him.

"You can chase me in here, and I can kill you.." I breath out, "Or you can let me go, and I won't be anybodies pain in the ass anymore."

A few people run over, standing behind Thomas.

Gally, Newt, Frypan, and eventually, Teresa.

Alby and others slowly arrive too.

"Y/n what the hell.." Newt mumbles, staring at me.

"Newt.. I'm sorry.." I mumble, "I can't stay... not.. I.."

Teresa stares at me. An influx of emotions flashing across her face. Anger. Concern. Sadness. Love.