Seventeen: Nightmares

"Adrien," Marinette stared at him, shock pooling in her bright bluebell eyes.

"Yeah it's me," he said shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It was you, this whole time, under that mask," Marinette said, taking a step back shakily.

Adrien frowned at that, had he upset her?

"Yeah it was, were you expecting someone different?" He asked.

"Could you blame me? After I basically told you everything about me, including things about you! You as in Adrien! The boy I used to have a huge crush on! My feelings, thoughts, everything while you were right there beside me the entire time!" She shrieked.

"Marinette listen I-

"Listen to what?" Marinette asked shakily, her eyes glistening. It pained him to see her like this, so hurt, so afraid, of him

"So you never loved me then? I was just your second choice after Ladybug, I told you about my feelings for Adrien, did that make you pity me or something?" Marinette asked.

"Of course you weren't my second choice nor did I pity you, I love you!" Adrien cried, his heart breaking into little pieces.

"You only 'loved me' because you couldn't have Ladybug, I never mattered to you, you were always so damn oblivious whenever I would try to show you," Marinette said, tears streaking down her cheeks as she hugged her arms.

She looked so broken, defeated, betrayed, and it was all because she thought he didn't love her. That he pitied her. That he thought of her as a second choice. When in reality, Adrien loved her from the bottom of his heart, everything about her, how he had wished he met her first instead of Ladybug.

"Marinette," Adrien said cautiously. "I've always loved you, just because Ladybug rejected me it doesn't mean I'd use you as a second choice, you always mattered to me Marinette and you always will."

"All you do is lie Adrien, I'm not sure what to believe anymore, one thing that I'm sure of is that I never want to see you again," Marinette said, her tone bitter towards the end.

He felt his heart drop and shatter into a million pieces, it can't end like this, it can't end at all.

"I never lied to you Mari," Adrien said, but it was too late, she was already gone, leaving him alone and broken, fading away into the background like a pile of ashes.

Adrien woke with a jolt that night, his body covered in sweat, his hair messy as he shakily ran a hand through it. He dreamt that he told Marinette who Chat was, his true identity, and it didn't go so well, seeing as he ended up losing her.

He looked to his side to see Plagg sleeping while hugging a piece of cheese, a sense of relief washed over him at the thought it was only a nightmare. Regardless, it scared him, would that be Marinette's reaction? Would she not accept him and misunderstand him? He hugged his knees up to his chest, resting his head on them as he let out a few tears. He was scared, scared of what would happen.

~

"Marinette...? You're....you're...." Chat's eyes widened in shock as he stared at her.

"Yes Chat, I'm Ladybug," Marinette said, staring at the blonde boy in front of her.

"No that's impossible, you can't be her..." Chat said, shaking his head as he backed away.