19 | Summer Flowers

A gentle summer-infused breeze swept through the empty air of the Cherliann manor, carrying with it the scent of dewy leaves and flowery aromas

   A gentle summer-infused breeze swept through the empty air of the Cherliann manor, carrying with it the scent of dewy leaves and flowery aromas. Contrary to her wintry appearance, Irene adored the warm season. The blazing blue sky and golden sun beaming down a delightful warmth and radiance, onto the endless gardens dappled with colours.

Two summers passed by as swiftly as the wind, since the army of Laydel had gone to fight in a one-sided war against Izadel. Irene, now seven years old - smiled from her seat at the garden pavilion while writing another letter to her father, the duke of Cherliann, who had been away for almost two years now.

Throughout this time, Irene had been keeping a close eye on her father through Snow, who would visit the duke discreetly once a week. There were times where the phoenix would report the duke had obtained an injury, or that he and his army had fallen into a trap - but very rarely did they find themselves tied down by such situations. Rudien was not the type of man to fall at a single injury, and neither were the soldiers he raised.

"That father of yours is seriously frightening," Snow would tell her. "But he's so cool at the same time! Maybe being summoned by his daughter isn't so bad, since I get to see him in action!"

Meanwhile, Irene had been rather busy during her time at the manor, with her education broadening and her social life expanding, little by little. Although she was only seven, she was already well-versed in almost every aspect of being a noble. Whether it was dance, etiquette, courtesy or even the hidden meanings behind certain actions.

Perhaps it was because she herself had created this world, and knew exactly what the culture was like.

Beside her at the garden pavilion, sat Sarah - her mother, as well as a regular guest and Irene's etiquette teacher — the Duchess of Firventia. After her lessons with the socialite would come to an end for the afternoon, the two duchesses who had been long time friends would sit in the garden and have tea together.

Duchess Carla Firventia was a beautiful woman with auburn hair and amber eyes, who was married to the duke of Firventia and had two twin sons - Ivan and Haren. Although it was normal for a hired teacher to be a lower-level noble, Carla had taken a liking to Irene, and requested herself to be the one to support the young lady in her growth.

As a genius in social networking, Irene was of course, obliged to her teacher being the woman of high society. Although Carla's ulterior motives were obvious, Irene knew it would benefit her to have a famous person adored by the nobles of Laydel, on her side.

This will spread a lot of good rumours, which will ensure I have a good reputation.

"Little Irene is such a dignified lady already!" Carla proudly exclaimed, as she sang her praises to the mother of her student. "She learns incredibly fast, and she masters everything I teach her. I'm sure when she comes of age, she will become a star in society."