72 | Time Limit

So much has happened in just those few months...

Standing alone amidst the festival's bustling crowd, the recollection of that discussion plagued Daniel's mind, accompanied by a slow, steady pain in his head.

Vibrant colours swirled in his vision, and the cacophonous thrum of voices pounded against his skull. The lively festivities - which usually filled him with relief to see - were now tainted by the perpetual effects of a demon slowly eating away at his soul.

Such were the consequences of the path he chose to walk. Prince Daniel knew - from the moment he first stepped into that darkness, he could not simply return unscathed. Perhaps his constant pursuit for strength and answers had turned him reckless.

"—Your Highness?"

A voice like silk called to him, snapping him out of the pained trance he was in, for a moment. Turning towards the source, a pair of round, golden eyes watched him both worriedly and reluctantly. Her soft dyed hair fell to the side as she peered into his face with genuine concern.

He's been acting so strange, I can't even ignore it now... Irene thought, pursing her lips as she saw right through Daniel's stoicism. Almost an hour passed since they got to the festival, and everyone had been enjoying themselves. Even Mikael begrudgingly tried his hand in a few games - though it took some convincing.

Yet the whole time, Prince Daniel only toiled along behind them, not even sharing in their fun. Irene had been watching him for some time, and she could tell there was no way the others hadn't noticed it. But no one was saying a thing.

Like a guard or even a phantom - Daniel's presence was hardly noted. Irene knew that getting involved with him was probably something she should avoid - but she couldn't bring herself to watch as he isolated himself from the group with such a distant look.

The way he's acting now is completely out of character... Irene thought, staring up at him pointedly. Is there a reason Mikael and Rayvis are just letting him be...?

Daniel was quiet for a moment. As he faced her, Irene admired the perfectly sculpted features of his face. Even if he was young - he was growing spledidly handsome. That soft, ebony hair that framed his arched brows, curling around his neck beautifully. The smooth, light tan that coloured his skin. She could even see the vague parts of his face that resembled Mikael's; the colour of his eyes and the shape of his lips.

"...Is something the matter?" Daniel asked her, surprised she was interacting with him at all after developing an aversion to him of sorts.

Irene frowned a little bit, but spoke in a rather matter-of-fact tone. "Well... You looked as though you were in pain, so I was concerned."

The prince blinked. As he processed those words, he began to realise something quite interesting. Gazing keenly at Irene, the pain in his head subsided a little - enough for him to smile ever so slightly.

"You were concerned?" Though it wasn't obvious, Irene captured the hint of a teasing tone in Daniel's voice. The way the edges of his lips curled ever so slightly upwards revealed his amusement. "I wonder if I'm dreaming. I didn't think you could have such feelings, Princess."

Nevermind. I guess he's fine, after all.

Irene didn't know why, but she became a little bit offended by the way he said it. "Are you suggesting I'm heartless?"

"Not at all," Daniel chuckled lightly, and his smile was completely unexpected in that moment. "You've been avoiding me ever since the ball, so I figured you resented me for making you uncomfortable."