42 | Mirrored Blades

Mikael laid upon the plush, layered sheets of his bed, gazing up at the sapphire brooch he received as his first gift. The Duke of Cherliann was different from what he expected - much less frightening, to say the least. The rumours he once heard back at the house Mikael and Daniel were raised in, were vastly different to the man who seemed obsessed with his daughter just a few hours ago.

Just as the blonde was thinking this, a shadowy figure entered through the door of his bedroom, and Mikael sat up to see Ms Cather standing there with that condescending glare she always wore. The boy swallowed dryly, clutching the brooch in his palms as he observed her warily.

She had been quiet these days. In fact - Mikael almost hardly saw her around at all. Perhaps it was because of Irene and Rayvis constantly being around, which would make it difficult for the maid to hurt him like she used to. Or because she doesn't want to risk me getting caught with injuries.

She noticed the shining object in his hand, and scoffed. "Do you really think a cheap gift like that means you're important? Hah, how amusing," Ms Cather sneered at the boy, her jeering voice resonating through the room. "You must think so highly of yourself! Being around children who you think will protect you. But of course, they'll end up abandoning you just like everyone else."

Mikael didn't say anything, and thought a silent prayer as he wished for the woman to leave his room. His body shivered at the thought she would try doing something again, but it didn't seem like the old hag was planning on hurting him today. It was like there was something on her mind - a spark could be seen in her dull eyes, indicating she was planning something, which left Mikael in a state of dread.

"I hope you at least make a good show of how lowly you are. Better for His Highness Prince Daniel, to look like he's heavens above you."

And with that last remark, the woman rolled her eyes and left the room - her long black skirt disappearing like a wave of smoke through the doorway, and leaving Mikael in a state of both relief and confusion.

What she said just now, what did that mean...? He wondered, brows narrowing. Make a show of myself...?

Ms Cather usually didn't bother paying attention to Mikael, and used to leave him to rot away in his room back where they once lived. As the head maid of the mansion, she would ensure no one served Mikael the way they nurtured the elder prince, and she was the one who forced all the other maids into hating the little boy.

It was hard to tell what she was thinking.

She looks like she's going to try something... I hope it doesn't end up badly... Mikael sighed softly, glancing down at the brooch again. Somehow, gazing into its glimmering surface calmed him down - and his thoughts became more clear.

"I'll grow stronger..." He told himself, brows narrowing. The calluses prickling his palms from all his training with the sword - further fuelling this thought. "And then I'll kill that woman myself."

  A few days had passed, as Rudien's early return to Laydel created an uproar among those amidst the Cherliann manor, leaving it more alive and energetic than it had ever been before. In every room and every hall, there were maids and servants flitting about and getting their work done, like bees in a hive working together.

The duke gradually took back control of the work his wife had been taking care of, for the past three years. Despite returning home from war, Rudien was as busy as ever. He was perpetually called to visit the other dukes and ministers, updating the council and parliament on the war whilst preparing for the nation's victory celebrations.

He would be instructing his knights, overseeing internal affairs, maintaining order in his territory, or swamped with paperwork.

On top of that - Rudien even decided to oversee some renovations at the Knight's quarters. Since the army of Laydel operated under him, he decided to allow the returning soldiers to come back to dorms that were larger and improved, providing them with new facilities to thank them for their hard work.