31 | Icicle Eyes

It's finally time... Irene could feel her heart racing, as the frosty air nibbled at her skin. Standing with Rayvis and Sarah outside the Cherliann's pristine estate, she found herself fiddling with her thumbs in attempt to warm her hands, as well as cast aside her nervousness.

Today was the day Mikael, the main villain and second prince of Hanna's novel — would take his first step into Irene's home. Albeit confident in her ability to change the course of the story, she couldn't help but feel anxious, considering one of the most dangerous characters would soon be living with her.

I have to successfully guide him away from becoming a villain.

The winter snow gradually melted away, but the bitter cold still lingered as the seasons prepared to change. A brown carriage, one that appeared as normal and plain as any carriage traversing the streets, soon rolled up to the front gates in the distance.

Rayvis - noticing Irene's shivers, gently pulled his sister toward him, taking off his cloak and draping it on her shoulders to shield her from the frosty air. She glanced up at her brother and thanked him, but his eyes were fixated on the approaching carriage with a conspicuous wariness.

It was an expected reaction, from anyone who was about to meet Mikael Laydel — a boy hated and scorned by all because of his origins. It wasn't only Rayvis, but even the servants of the manor had fallen silent these past few days.

It was because no one wanted the Prince to be here, although they never said it out loud. Despite having done no harm, his presence itself was sure to bring down the reputation of House Cherliann. Due to the actions of his horrible late mother, and because he was an illegitimate child to begin with, the people of Laydel despised him. Even if he was granted legitimacy as an heir, from the emperor.

Rayvis' initial attitude toward Mikael probably hasn't changed from the original story... Because he admires the Atlan family. Irene thought, watching as the brown carriage carrying the prince, finally drew closer. She then glanced at her mother, who's expression was difficult to view - hidden by her long, white hair.

Sarah being alive now... Will definitely help to improve Mikael's situation. She's not the kind of person who would ever resent an innocent child.

Finally, the carriage pulled up in front of the Cherlianns. It stood imposingly in front of them, despite it being such a mundane and plain model. Separated only by a sleek wooden door and tinted glass window — Irene could already feel his presence.

Several footmen walked toward the carriage, to help the occupants get down and unload all of the bags kept behind. Irene held her breath, her heart racing.

This is it.

The moment I've been waiting for, for eight whole years.

A servant soon approached the door of the carriage, and opened it carefully before stepping aside and extending a hand toward the figure seated inside. A figure who's appearance was light and elegant, contrasting the mundane carriage he was situated in.

A little boy, dressed neatly in the clothes of a young noble, stood up and alighted the carriage with an air of grace about him. He was small and petite, with an aura that made him seem difficult to approach. As Irene gazed at his face, her eyes widened in awe.

Silky strands of flowing, creamy-blonde hair, which framed his face beautifully and curled around his pale little neck. His downturned lashes were the same colour, contrasting those deep, lapis-blue irises that resembled the glowing ocean at night. A little nose, rosy lips and a cherubic face, one that resembled a girl's.