70 | White Aster

How did it come to this?!

Irene could scarcely hide the red in her cheeks as she did her best to look anywhere but directly ahead. As the carriage wheels rattled with movement, her knees ended up accidentally brushing against the person seated opposite her. Again.

In order to avoid any attention on the way to the festival, aa simple coach had been prepared for Irene and the others. Little did they know, there was not much leg space within the carriage, as a result.

Daniel had his arms folded over his chest and his gaze lowered, but the way the streetlights gently illuminated his midnight hair and warm beige skin, made it difficult for her not to stare. He didn't say a word, even as their knees remained centimetres apart. Irene did her best to sink backwards into her seat, shifting uncomfortably with a red face.

This is uncomfortable... I should have let Isabella enter the carriage before me. In attempt to calm down, she turned to the brunette seated next to her beseechingly. But her best friend was already too busy chatting away with Rayvis, so there was no hope for a distraction there.

Mikael was as quiet as his brother, staring silently out of the window on the other side. Irene wished she could trade seats with anyone else, but she realised this situation would have to be endured for now.

This situation in itself was amazing to her. The fact that the characters she once wrote about in such detail, were now crammed together in a cheap coach - on their way to the summer festival again. Usually, something like this would have been easy, but being in the presence of the male lead had her on edge.

Just as she was turning her head, Irene's eyes accidentally caught sight of Daniel's.

Her heart froze. For a moment, those deep oceans for irises ensnared her - and it felt as though she would drown in them.

Immediately spinning her head to face the window, Irene broke the eye contact and could feel her cheeks burn. The prince's gaze lingered, and made her shift awkwardly in her seat.

Please let this journey be over soon...!

Observing her flustered reaction keenly, Daniel did not peal his gaze from the girl in front of him. Her usual white hair was dyed a pale, bisque colour after using the dye handed to her by River Alvenicht. He could tell she was likely uncomfortable because of the proximity of their seats, but seeing her cheeks turn a soft rose was somewhat endearing.

Still, he knew that getting lost in this image of her was not a good idea.

He stifled a sigh. Not yet.

Reminding himself, Daniel slowly closed his eyes and avoided looking any longer. Despite his interest in the girl in front of him, he knew well she was not someone he could approach right now.

Not until that day came, and he could finally tell her the real reason why he came to live at the Cherliann estate.

"We're here!" A voice called out, as the carriage wobbled to a stop. Irene almost audibly breathed a sigh of relief, but held it in since it wouldn't escape the prince's notice.

Excitement bubbled up like a fine summer lemonade within the girl seated next to her, and at last- Isabella turned to face her friend with a beautiful smile.

"This is going to be so much fun, don't you think?"

Seeing her grin so exuberantly like a puppy, almost instantly wiped away Irene's discomfort from the journey. She smiled back softly, before nodding. "It will!"

As the five swiftly stepped down from the carriage, Irene gazed up at the familiar scenery ahead. The town was illuminated by golden, glowing lanterns, overhead. Buildings decorated with ribbons and summer wreaths, stalls lined with delicacies and games - even the citizens faces were alight with joy and buoyancy.