21 | Summer Flowers

This is it... Irene thought, anxiously standing at the entrance of the Cherliann manor alongside Sarah, as the chartreuse carriage of House Einfred finally entered through the front gates. This is my first time meeting Isabella...

After three weeks of exchanging letters to one another, Irene finally invited Isabella over for tea. At her daughter's request, Sarah saw to it that they could have an enjoyable garden tea party amidst the summer flowers, with the best desserts the chef could prepare.

As Irene waited for the carriage to park, her heart was racing in her little chest. This was her first meeting with the female lead herself. The heroine of the story she wrote as Hanna, and the character she admired and related to the most.

This is my first time meeting a leading character... Although I'm excited, I can't help but feel a bit nervous...

The carriage then finally stopped in front of them, and a few guards who has escorted Isabella over, soon opened the door of the grand wagon.

Then, graciously alighting the carriage, Isabella herself stepped down gracefully, wearing an elegant ensemble of white and lilac dress. Irene's eyes were encapsulated by her beauty almost instantly, as though an angel had descended onto the earth.

Isabella's long, flowing hazel-brown hair perfectly adorned her petite figure. Her eyes were large and round, matching the fair colour of her hair. Her cheeks were rosy, and her lips were full and soft.

In the moment that their eyes met, Irene felt all of her anxiousness dissipate. Because it was then that she realised - she too, had fallen in love with Isabella.

Oh my gosh... She's as adorable as I imagined!! Irene found herself screaming inside. That's my Isabella!! My Queen!!

As she approached, Isabella gazed at Irene for the first time in as much awe as the latter. But she soon shook off her stare, and stepped toward her friend who she had been exchanging letters with. Seeing her in person feels so much more satisfying than I thought... She's a joy to look at!

The young girl extended her delicate hand towards Irene, and the young author inside her nearly fainted from the gesture.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Miss Irene!" Isabella beamed, her smile radiating every dark corner of Irene's heart and soul.

"It's also delight to be in your presence, Miss Isabella!" Irene replied, smiling back and taking her hand. Sarah too, welcomed their guest as she stood beside Irene, while happily observing her daughter make her first ever friend. If only Rudien could see this...

After their introductions, the two girls separated from the duchess, who had work to attend to, before being escorted by a few maids to the gardens of the manor.

"I'm happy that we've finally met," Irene beamed, her sociable nature a refreshing one for Isabella. "I always wanted to have a friend close in age!"

While the young aristocrat was certainly lively in conversation, her voice was soft and sweet - an attractive trait, to be sure. Isabella found herself gazing at Irene in adoration. Her soft white hair and plump, pale cheeks. Those glittering irises that resembled pools of melted gold.

She's definitely going to have men falling at her feet in ten years time! Isabella giggled softly to herself.

Irene, on the other hand, was just as captivated with Isabella. It was as though the young woman was breathing magic into the air around her. Her presence was healing and she was cute to look at - as expected of the heroine of the story.

Once they arrived at their quaint yet elegant table in the garden, the maids tended to Irene and her guest as they took their seats and started to finally converse. As they talked while taking in the silver platters of sweet delicacies laid in front of them, Isabella felt much more at ease as she melted from how delicious the desserts were.

"These cakes are so good! You were right about your chef being good with desserts!"

"Right?? And you should try the tea Joanne brews as well! It's so soothing!"

Contrary to their initial politeness, once the girls were comfortable, they finally adopted a more informal manner. Their conversations were light and enjoyable — words flowed freely and naturally, as if they were old friends with no secrets to hide between each other.

"So, how has adjusting to life at House Einfred been?" Irene asked throughout their conversations, smiling as she took a bite out of another sweet chocolate macaroon.

Isabella beamed, her satisfaction visible in those hazel eyes. "It's been wonderful! The duke and duchess have been treating me like their own child... I'm very grateful to everyone who has welcomed me as family there."

"That's good to hear," Irene beamed, feeling relieved to hear that Isabella was happy at the manor. "I look forward to when you're introduced officially in high society! When you are, let's stick together, okay?"

Although she already knew House Einfred would treat her well, a part of Irene did still worry about the few incidents Isabella would come across. Especially among some of the nobles who were caught up with her origins.

Although adoption wasn't taboo in this world, there were still many nobles who were concerned with social class and honour. To them, a child from the slums had no right to stand on the same marble floors as they did. Despite the fact that Isabella had a kind upbringing, many still scorned her just because she was initially a commoner.

And of course, one of those nobles was Irene... She sighed softly, remembering how the initial story went. But it wasn't going to happen in the same way, now that Irene and Isabella became fast friends. That and — although she was still young, Irene was rather popular among the aristocracy.

By the time I'm older, I'm sure I'll have a strong standing since I'm not the snobbish Irene. She thought, a determined glint in her eyes. And I'll be able to protect Isabella from any scorn.