74 | Time Limit

"Irene... Didn't you receive Daniel's proposal?"

Mikael's voice wavered slightly with those words, and she could tell there was a tiny crack of urgency breaking his usual composure. But what surprised her more was him asking her something like that at all.

His question brought forth a glimpse of a flashback to when the ball happened, not too long ago. The image of Daniel's earnest face as he asked her to form an engagement with him, and the way her heart raced. Just remembering it made Irene's cheeks burn a little.

Mikael... Knows about that?

As far as Irene knew, she hadn't told anyone about it except Snow. Maybe the first prince discussed it with Mikael, but he didn't seem like the type that would divulge something like that... Right?

For now, she thought carefully about how to respond, yet ended up telling him the truth. "...He did, during his introductory ball. But he retracted it soon after, because of what happened to Mother," she explained, lowering her gaze. "I think he was being considerate, because we have a lot on our plate at the moment..."

The blonde listened quietly, before responding. "Then he will probably ask you again when it's a better time."

He seemed so sure of that, from the way he said it. Irene wondered if Daniel and Mikael were in cahoots about the matter, so she glanced up at him with a questioning look. "Why do you know about that anyway?" She asked. "It's like you want me to marry him."

Mikael easily evaded her curiosity and changed the subject. "That's not important. What was that you were murmuring about Isabella being future empress?" As he crossed his arms, Irene flinched when she realised he had her held like a hostage.

Avoiding the question and asking his own. Classic Mikael.

I can't tell him the truth, obviously... She thought, thinking back on the original novel she wrote in her previous life. Even if after so much had changed and this world deviates from the plot in many ways, there were still some things she wished wouldn't have changed.

Daniel and Isabella's relationship being one of them.

In the eyes of everyone else, Irene Cherliann was the greatest candidate to take up the position of empress. Even Mikael seemed to believe that, evident from the way he was startled by her words just now. But the person residing within Irene's body had other ideas.

A part of her deep down was still tied to the plot. She knew her character originally died at the hands of both Mikael and Daniel, and she knew there was no one with more potential to become empress than Isabella. Perhaps the other characters were looking down on her now, because Isabella hadn't proved herself much.

Irene wasn't against becoming empress herself, but such an important role in this kingdom would have been filled with uncertainty and hardship. Daniel was someone capable of handling all of that and taking it upon himself, but...

If she were to become empress, it would mean marrying him. As much as she adored the original male lead in her story, she couldn't seem to imagine herself at his side. After all, they didn't know each other well.

"I-Is there..."

Mikael's voice trembled, as though overcome by a realisation which turned him slightly timorous. Irene glanced up at him with confusion as he turned his head away ever so slightly. Her eyes widened at the sight of his ears peaking from beneath his soft blonde hair.

They were glowing red.

"Is there someone else... You like?"

Mikael's question was hesitant, and she couldn't see his face from behind the mask. But those words, for some bizarre reason, made her face grow hot.