02

- G R I F F I N -

"Jason, I swear, if you don't shut the fuck up-" Jason is yelling. For no reason. He burst into the locker room today, singing his heart out. No one even knows the song. He keeps cutting everyone off and it's really pissing me off.

I walk out of the locker room, onto the fields. I glance over at some freshmen, who are tackling the dummies. They look like total idiots. Maybe they should practice on moving things. I got voted as a JV mentor by my teammates. They think it's some sick joke, but I was livid. I don't have time for them.

"I'm pumped up, man." Jason grips the back of my shoulders.

"Why?" I shove his hands off of me.

"Because I made a friend, and she's a girl. A hot girl. You're lucky that she's your study partner. I got stuck with Ella. All she talks about is you." He shrugs, grinning.

"Mhm." I nod, picking up a football. I debate on throwing it in his face. I decided against it.

"Don't you think she's hot? I mean, her face is perfect. And her body- holy shit-"

"Fuck. Shut up, Jason. Yeah, she's hot, but we have practice, and I'd prefer not to run for your blabbing." I snap.

"You're always so moody, Monroe. Lighten up a little. You're just mad she hasn't shown any interest in you yet." Some sophomore comes up behind Jason and I. "Besides, she hella hot. I'd fuck her." He shrugs.

I want to punch him in the mouth. What a dick. "You're like twelve, man. You wouldn't fuck anything." My jaw clenches. You shouldn't talk about anyone like that. At least have some common sense.

"I'd fuck your mom." Jason announces to the sophomore. His eyes go wide and I laugh.

"On the line." Coach yells. Shit.

~ ~ ~ 

- V E N U S -

- V E N U S -

I set my things on the ground, collapsing onto the soft grass. I tilt my head up towards the clouds. I grab my book out of my bag. The Fault In Our Stars.

My favorite.

Reading is my escape. If you find a good book, it makes running away from reality easier. I would rather be in a book than living in the real world.

"Did you know that book is fucking sad?" Griffin plops down next to me, grabbing the book from my hands.

"I had no idea." I say sarcastically. Of course it's sad. It's about a girl with cancer. "Have you read it?"

"Once or twice." He shrugs, handing it back to me.

"Huh." I say softly, tearing my eyes away from his.

"What? Did you think I didn't know how to read or something?'' He leans on his elbow.

"I never said that." I close the book, setting it next to me.