34

- V E N U S -

Griffin takes his seat next to me after helping set food on the table. His hand finds my thigh. He draws shapes with his thumb on my leg.

"Emily." We all look at Lena. "This food is amazing." She sends a small smile.

"Thank you."

"So, uh, Venus." I turn my head over to where one of Griffin's aunts are. I don't remember her name, but I think she was sweet.

"Do you have any siblings, or other family members? I mean, I just assumed you would be spending it with them."

"No, I'm an only child. All of my other family is in Colorado." I mess with my hands.

"Oh, wow. How did you and Griffin meet, then?" She tilts her head.

I glance at him. He smiles, spelling out 'school' on my leg.

"School. We were partnered up together for a project in history." I glance over at Terra, who is smirking, shaking her head.

I don't remember telling her how we met?

Griffin must've.

His aunt smiles. "Cute."

He smiles at me, adjusting my leg so that one is on top of his.

Another woman starts speaking to me. Rudely, I might add.

"And your parents let you come? I mean, it must take a lot of trust. I'm surprised they didn't come with you. I would go with my kids."

"Mhm. Well, they don't mind."

They don't even know I'm here.

"Oh, that's great." She eats something off of her fork.

"Yeah, it is." Griffin adds, squeezing my knee.

The conversation lightens when Terra starts talking. I assume everyone feels bad for her, because no one dares to have any attitude with her. She announces that her tumor has been reduced almost half its size.

I'm so proud of her.

~ ~ ~

"Griffin." I groan. "I'm so full. I think I'm going to explode." I hold my stomach.

He rubs my back. "I am too." We sit down on the couch, his hand settles on my stomach.

"I have a food baby." I lift up my shirt as he rubs my stomach.

"It's cute." He smiles, laying on top of me.

"I really might throw up." I tilt my head back.

He shakes his head, kissing my lips.

"Just not on me." He buries his head into my neck, letting out a sigh.

"I can't believe you let your kid get so touchy in front of all the family!"

"Sadie. They aren't kids anymore, they are about to move out! They are responsible enough. Leave it alone, please." Terra scoffs.

"They fight like this all the time." Griffin says into my neck. "But it's never been about me." He whispers.

"It's embarrassing. I'm uncomfortable. She probably has so many other guys she does this with."

"Then stay that way. No one else seems bothered. You're bringing too much attention to yourself, and them. It's not that big of a deal! And for your information, she's not like that. Griffin, Venus. Go."

We both sit up, then head up the stairs. Griffin grabs my hand, stopping me halfway up the stairs.

"Shh." He puts his fingers to my lips. I can hear faint voices. I'm pretty sure they are yelling.