21

- G R I F F I N -

Venus gasps as I walk into the bedroom, the costume for Duke in my hands.

"You didn't!" She smiles, shifting her weight up and down. I got him a pair of angel wings, with a halo headband to sit on top of his head.

"I'm so excited for tonight." She embraces me. "We have to go buy candy."

"Let's go then." I grab her hand, leading her out the door.

"He's going to look so cute." She grins, buckling her seat belt.

When we get to the store, Venus paces in the candy aisle. She won't get anything with peanuts because she's worried someone is allergic.

"They just wont eat it, Venus." I sigh, rubbing my temple.

"Are you okay?" She asks, walking up to me.

"Mhm." I rest my head onto her shoulder. She kisses the side of my head. "I have a headache. And I have weights and conditioning in an hour." I groan.

"I'm sorry." She brings her lips to mine. "Do you want to go home?" She asks, rubbing my back. "Here I'll just get this." She grabs a little bit of every candy, then pays.

Right when we get home, I'm off to practice.

"Hey, Griffs!" Holden jogs up to me. "We are having a party tonight, and we're probably going to scare little kids. You down?" He asks

I sigh, thinking of Venus. She'll want me to be with her, plus I'm not in the mood for that.

"Probably not." Is all I say. I want to go home. Not be with these stupid freshman who wouldn't be able to tell a rock from their brain.

"We've got no future in football." Holden mumbles, watching a kid eat it.

"I know." I nod. "That kid isn't bad." I point to a tall, muscular kid. "He's just got really bad grades. He told me that his parents don't know that he's playing football. He said he'll get in trouble with them."

"Great." He sighs. "The future of this football program relies on a kid who can't make a B to save his life."

"Holden, come on, dude. He could be going through some shit. My grades were awful when my mom was sick."

"You're right. I'm sorry. Do you think we could help him?"

"Maybe." I shrug. "Even if we help him with his grades, that doesn't mean we can help him with his family."

~ ~ ~

I set my keys on the counter, then mope up the stairs to my room. I can't seem to find the motivation to climb into bed, so instead I collapse onto the floor.

I'm laying on my stomach when Venus walks into the room. She smiles when she sees me, tilting her head.

"Are you alright?" She asks, crouching down beside me, rubbing her hand down my back.

"No." I mumble.

"Where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere."

I sigh as she asks me to take off my shirt. She starts at the top of my shoulders, rubbing the tender spots. She moves slowly down to my upper back, pressing her hands along my muscles. I let out a breath. She presses her thumbs into my lower back, moving in circular motions.

This is better than sex.

She lays next to me on the ground, nestling up to me as close as possible. I bring her to my chest.