18

- V E N U S -

I don't go to school the next day. Or the day after that. I haven't slept in days. I'm afraid to ask for sleeping pills, for I may convince myself to take too many.

I've barely eaten. I lay in bed with Duke, and stare at the tv. I overheard Griffin and his mom talking about me.

Depressed. Is what she said. She needs help. Is what she said.

I agree. I need to get over this. And the only way I can is to clear everything up. I need help to recognize what I'm feeling.

Griffin refuses to believe I am. He needs to accept it. If I get help, I'll be better. Jason and Allie and Serena have been blowing up my phone. I even got a text from Naomi.

Griffin convinced me to go to school tomorrow.

I finally look at my phone.

Allie: hey, Vee. Griffin told us you weren't feeling well, but if you're feeling better, Wednesday we are all going dress shopping.

Me: maybe. i'll be at school tomorrow.

Allie: okay! i hope you feel better!

And texts from Jason.

Jason: hey babe.

Jason: how are you feeling, Vee Vee?

Jason: i better see your ass at school tomorrow.

Me: you will.

Jason: that's my Venus.

And Serena.

Serena: hey love. hope you get better soon! we miss you.

Me: i'll be back tomorrow. :)

Naomi, even.

Naomi: i haven't seen you in a while. can we talk?

Me: i'll be at school tomorrow.

And here I am, barely awake, and surprisingly hungry. I covered up my eye bags with makeup. I walk into the kitchen, Griffin's mom, Terra is there. She smiles at me, sympathetically. Duke is at her feet, eating something off of the floor that she must've dropped.

"Where's Griffin?" I ask softly after thanking her for the french toast.

"He had an early practice. He was complaining about practicing with the freshmen." She shrugs.

"I'm pretty sure he got stuck as a JV mentor. He was talking about it yesterday." My fork scrapes across the glass plate. I wince at the noise.

"Oh, no." She shakes her head. "You're going to school today?" She asks.

"Yeah. I kept getting messages about how much work I'm missing."

She nods. "I'm glad you are. It'll be good for you."

I force a smile, eating all of the french toast.

I drive myself to school, wondering how many assignments I really am missing.

I go to my locker. I get a few glances from random people in the halls, including Ella. I kind of forgot about her. And she still looks like she hates me.

Someone comes up behind me, hugging me. "Venus!" It's Jason. I give him a believable smile, embracing him back.

"I missed you." He says into my hair.

"Mhm." I'm being crushed.

He lets go, just for me to be crushed again, by Serena and Allie.

"Hey guys." I grin.