06

- V E N U S -

I shut the door to my house quietly. My foot is so sore. It shouldn't be this sore still. It could be infected. I never used rubbing alcohol to clean it out, and I pulled a big chunk of glass out. I make it to my car, taking my shoe off. I wince.

It's bad. Really bad.

I put a bandaid on it that I found in my console, driving towards the school.

But I don't even know why I bother.

I take the turn away from the school, leading me to the nearest coffee shop. I grab my wallet and keys. The bell jingles when I walk through the door, a warm breeze hitting me square in the face. A boy a few years older than me greets me at the counter.

He's got dirty blonde hair and warm brown eyes. He reminds me of a golden retriever. He's cute.

He smiles at me, his eyes following me up to the counter.

"What can I get you?" He asks softly, tapping his finger on the counter top. He has definitely had too much coffee.

I honestly have no idea. I don't usually drink coffee.

"Whatever you usually get is fine. I'm up for new things." He raises his eyebrows and nods, typing some numbers into the register.

I hand him my card. "It's on me." He says, barely glancing up.

"Thank you."

"I'm Caleb, by the way." He walks over to the coffee maker, smiling.

"I'm Venus. Do you own this place?" I look around. I see no workers. It's quiet, empty. I like it here.

"Yeah. I bought it after high school, which was last year." He pours caramel into the blender, then presses a button, causing everything inside of it to spin, but it's noiseless.

When it suddenly beeps, he takes off the lid, then pours it into a cup. He takes out a napkin and a sharpie, scribbling something onto it. He hands me the cup, the napkin underneath it.

"Thank you." I smiled at him, grabbing a straw and headed out the door.

"Have a nice day." He calls out to me as the door closes.

I take a sip of the coffee. Holy crap. I've never tasted something so deadly. So much coffee and caramel. It's not that bad. It's actually kind of good.

I read the napkin, smiling like an idiot.

I would have asked you in person, but I'm scared of rejection. I think you're cute. Here's my number.

- Caleb

I put his number into my phone, texting him immediately.

Me: i loved the note. this is Venus, by the way.

Caleb: i'm glad. i just didn't have the guts to call you pretty to your face. but honestly, name a more romantic way to give a girl your number.

Me: i really can't.

Caleb: mission accomplished, then ;) we should go out?

Me: it depends. i have wayyy too many boys to go out with at the moment. but, how about this Friday? i don't think i'm busy.

Caleb: oh yeah. i totally understand. its hard work being so pretty. Friday is good with me. now, i have to go. a lady is yelling at me because her order is wrong. if i don't answer in an hour, it's because i probably have third degree burns all over my face