09

- G R I F F I N -

Jason dumped that party at my house. I'm really pissed about it. My mom's at the hospital, and my dad is working. I guess it worked out, though. All I had to do was put Duke up.

I glance at my phone, which is blowing up.

Jason: hey man, this is a group chat with Naomi, Venus, me, and Griffin.

Naomi: what was wrong with our last one?

Me: Venus wasn't in it.

Naomi texts me and Jason separately.

Naomi: guys i don't want Venus to be in our group chat!

Me: why not.

Naomi: i just don't like her.

Jason: since when?

Naomi: today.

Me: why?

Naomi: never mind.

Okay? She acts like we're just going to ditch her. I like her. We all do. She's never minded her until today.

Jason: Naomi's jealous.

Me: of?

Jason: Venus. i told her you guys hooked up.

Me: why would you say that? we didn't.

Jason: i didn't know she would take it seriously!

Me: i hate you.

I turn off my phone, setting it on the couch. I told everyone to meet at my house at six, but Naomi, Jason, and Venus come at five. It's 4:55.

It's going to be awkward.

Venus arrives first, knocking at my door. She's wearing a short, white tennis skirt with a navy blue sweater.

She smiles. "Where's Duke?" She asks, almost immediately.

"In his room." She sits onto the couch.

"Can you get him out?" She laughs.

"Fine." I grumble, opening the door to Duke's room.

She giggles as he jumps onto the couch, smothering her in kisses. I can't help it, a grin spreads across my face.

There's banging at the door and he barks.

"I swear if that dog is out." I hear Jason yell from the other side of the door.

"Just come in." I say.

He gasps, watching Duke lay in Venus's lap. His head is the size of her thigh. "She tamed Duke the devil. Naomi, look at this shit." She peers out from behind Jason, obviously petrified of the dog.

"Duke the devil?" Venus asks, narrowing her eyes at Jason.

"Yeah that's what we call it." Jason sets down a box of beers.

"Poor thing." She looks down at the dog, patting his head. Duke whimpers, burying his head into her lap.

Naomi hasn't said a word the entire time.

Why would she be jealous? Nothing even happened. And what's there to be jealous of? We're just friends. All of us are just friends.

I sit next to Venus. Duke growls but nothing else. Jason tosses me two beers, I attempt to give one to Venus, but she shakes her head.

Naomi scoffs, grabbing the drink from my hand and sitting down next to me, her knee touching mine. I shift my legs towards Venus, where Naomi's leg is no longer touching mine.