HOME

Strange,
Sabine mused as she looked at the cookie and croissants. She was sure that there were 13 batches of the snack, but there were only twelve batches on the kitchen counter.

"Marinette," Sabine called up to her daughter, "Did you get a plate of cookies again?"

Marinette opened her trapdoor and gave a sheepish look at her mother, her eyes showing guilt. "Sorry, maman, I was hungry."

Sabine raised an eyebrow. "Next time, make sure to tell me okay?"

"Yes, maman." Marinette nodded quickly and shut her door. Sabine stared back, and then shook her head. Her daughter was a growing girl. Of course she would get hungry.

But then again, this was the third time it happened in the week alone. And there were 20 chocolate chip cookies in one batch along with 15 croissants.

That wasn't the only thing that was strange as well.

For some time now, it sounded like her daughter was talking to someone upstairs in her room. Other times, it sounded like she was talking to a clock, and sometimes, she sounded like she was talking to a cat. But the voices were muffled by the floor, so Sabine wasn't so sure.

With a frown, she decided to sneak upstairs and towards her daughter's bedroom. Pausing a moment outside, she thought she could hear muffled voices.

"Seriously, kitty. Don't they feed you in your house?"

"If you were a superhero, princess, how are you going to explain to your family that you require 3 times the amount of food for each meal?"

"I live in a bakery...Don't tell me that's the reason why you come here."

It sounded like the kitten had said something amusing or infuriation, because Sabine could imagine Marinette rolling her eyes as she let out a huff of amusement.

Contemplating whether or not she should intrude in her daughter's privacy, Sabine shrugged. Whatever she was hiding, it couldn't be that bad, right?

And so, Sabine Dupain-Cheng opened the hatch door.

Everybody froze.

Marinette's eyes widened and cheeks reddened as her eyes flickered at her mom and then at Chat Noir, who was having a staring contest with Sabine, a cookie dangling halfway through his mouth.

Sabine, on the other hand, just gaped at the superhero that abruptly shoved the cookie in his mouth, stood up from his chair, dusted off the crumbs from his suit and bowed hastily at her.

Well, at least he had manners.

But that still didn't explain the scene before her. Why was Paris's feline superhero in her daughter's bedroom at night? Was there another akuma attack? Was Marinette in danger? Why was he here?

Just as Chat Noir was going to explain himself, Sabine looked at her daughter and narrowed her eyes. "Marinette Dupain-Cheng, care to explain this?"

Her daughter gulped, knowing that tone of voice. That was the 'you-re-in-trouble-young-lady' voice that moms seem to be able to pull off.

Marinette twiddled her fingers. "I- uhh-"

"It was me!" Chat Noir blurted out. Two pairs of eyes looked at him. He said to Sabine, "I'm sorry, Mrs. Dupain-Cheng, for intruding in your daughter's bedroom. I know it's inappropriate and I should've known better. It's not Marinette's fault. She was kind enough to keep me company. I'm sorry I kept it a secret and-"

Suddenly, his stomach growled out loudly. Chat's cheeks reddened as Marinette tried to hide her giggles. "I-I'm sorry-"

"Have you eaten yet?"