PARENTS - 1/3

Part 1 in the "Finding Out" series

"So you know how the mayor finally persuaded Ladybug and Chat Noir to do a proper interview tomorrow evening?" Alya asked as she slid into her seat, exactly one minute and twenty five seconds before the bell. "Guess what? I get to go!"

"No way!" Nino gasped, spinning around in his seat. "Really? But I thought it was only for city reporters?"

Alya nodded, excited, and Marinette hid her grin. "Yeah, it was! But the mayor was going over the guest list with Ladybug and Chat Noir, and Ladybug actually requested that I be added! Can you believe it?"

"That's really awesome, Alya," Adrien spoke up, twisting in his seat to look back at the girls.

"And that's not all-" Alya cut herself off as the bell rang. At Marinette's questioning look, she whispered, "I'll tell you over lunch! It's awesome!"

Marinette sat back in her seat, suddenly nervous. What could Alya possibly be talking about? She had taken the opportunity to invite Alya to the "official" interview when it came up, and the invitation was just for her friend...right?

Apparently not.

"I get to bring a guest!" Alya squealed as soon as they were out of the classroom. "You're coming, right Marinette?"

"My parents have a really big order I have to help with tomorrow night," Marinette claimed immediately, feigning disappointment. "But have a good time, Alya! I'll be sure to watch your video."

"Won't your parents let you off for something like this?" Nino asked. "I mean, that's big. Getting to see Ladybug and Chat Noir up close when they aren't battling an akuma? I'm sure they'd understand."

They would let her off, even if the order was real. But that was her go-to excuse and she wasn't about to let it get destroyed. "I don't think so. It's a really big order, and we have other stuff that we need to keep up with. Inspection time is coming up again." That was true.

"I'll talk to them," Alya announced. "I have journalism club after school, but after that! Don't worry, Marinette, I'll get them to let you go!"

"Really, Alya, you don't need to do that-" Marinette protested, her heart sinking. Her friend wouldn't listen, though.

She would have to talk to her parents.

"Hey, mom? Dad?" Marinette stepped into the for-once empty bakery. In only a couple hours, there would be another rush as Partisans got bread for their dinners. "Can I talk to you guys?"

"Of course, sweetie. What's up?" Her mom smiled at her from behind the register, where she was filling frosting sleeves.

"Alya wants me to go to something tomorrow night, and I- well, I don't really want to go, so I was wondering if you could possibly tell her that there's a really big order I have to help with, and there's no possible way I could get out of that?" It came out as one large run-on sentence.

From the back, her dad laughed. "Let me guess, Alya got passes to go see Ladybug and Chat Noir's interview and invited you as well? I suppose it would be a bit difficult for you to be both with her and be Ladybug at the same time."

Marinette's jaw dropped. What?

"Of course we'll tell her that we can't spare you, dear," Sabine said cheerfully, acting as though they hadn't just dropped the biggest bombshell in the history of bombshells on her. "We do have a large order tomorrow, but the dough has already been made and is in the freezer. It's nothing we can't handle."