CLASS TEACHER

How Chameleon would have looked like if Ms Bustier acted like a real teacher.

Caline Bustier knew Lila Rossi was trouble the moment she stepped into her classroom.

She had been a teacher long enough to tell when a child was nothing but mischief. They all had the same false innocent expression on their faces that didn't quite hide the twitches of a smug smile at the corners of their lips or the bright gleam in their eyes when they think they're getting away with it. Caline may have had her ability blunted a little after dealing with Chloe Bourgeois who didn't even bother hide her naughty side beneath a false exterior of innocence any more but she could still spot a child up to no good a mile away.

That, and Caline just had a meeting with the rest of the staff where they were informed about Lila Rossi's lies. It irritated her beyond believe that she had allowed Lila to lie to her classmates about being in Achu with those numerous fake Skype calls. It had been agreed amongst the staff it was best to keep silent about it to the children. Children, regardless of age or kindness, can be cruel and if Lila felt the need to lie so badly to stay out of school, to manipulate both her parents and the staff, then they were not going to make it worse by inviting more ridicule for the girl.

But it didn't mean they weren't going to keep a close eye on her and ensure she was behaving and being honest for a change.

Lila didn't even bother to try to be honest and good as the very minute she walked in, she slid up to Caline with a falsely regretful expression plastered on her face. "Ms Bustier," she trilled in overly saccharine tones that didn't fool Caline for a second. She had taught genuine sweet children – Marinette, Mylene, and Rose all immediately come to mind – and none of them sounded so sickly sweet like that. "I hate to be a disruption but..."

She trailed off as if to look nervous and anxious about being disruptive which Caline didn't believe for a single second. There was no doubt in Caline's mind that Lila wanted to be more than disruptive, she wanted to spin a new tale to garner sympathy, and from that whatever favouritism she could manipulate into her benefit.

Chloe had used this tactic when Caline first began to teach her too.

It didn't work then and it certainly won't work now.

"What is it Lila?" Caline sighed heavily.

"I need to sit in the front," Lila said quickly. If it wasn't for the falseness in her body language and facial expression, and the lack of genuine worry in her tone, Caline would have believed her too be as nervous and prone to babbling as Marinette. "I have tinnitus and-"

Now that was a lie.

A medical condition such as tinnitus would have been on the girl's personal file. If Lila actually had tinnitus Caline would have already known because Lila's mother – who was clearly a loving parent despite her full schedule as a diplomat – would have informed her of what Lila required to help her in class. Caline would have already prepared a front row seat for Lila before the girl's re-entry to the school was confirmed.

Caline was no fool.

But she wasn't cruel either, she would give Lila a chance to tell the truth or prove she wasn't lying.

"I see," Caline interrupted coolly, "do you have a doctors note?"

"I – what?"

Lila blinked and for a moment she actually looked innocent from the bafflement etched into her face. Clearly this child was not used to being questioned like this, it made Caline wonder how poor Lila's previous teachers were if they had just accepted her word a face value or could not be bothered to investigate her tales. Oh well. Those teachers might have failed Lila but Caline wouldn't. She would give this girl a real chance to learn that lying is not the way to go about things and that there was real value in being honest.