BAGUETTES

Brought down by Baguettes

A/N: This is most definitely not meant to be taken seriously at all lol. Entirely inspired by some conversation I heard once about how some breads from European bakeries pretty much has to be used on the first day or it turns to stone and then the story just sort of went out of control.

The day that Hawkmoth was defeated started like pretty much any other summer day. Marinette slept in, ate breakfast, then headed downstairs to help out in the bakery.

Apparently her help was sorely needed. One of the bakery's normal workers was on vacation and her parents and their sole remaining worker were a little slammed.

"I'm going to have to have a talk with my newest weekend hire," Tom said with a sigh as he started unloading loaves of bread into a basket for Marinette to take up front. "He set a tray of baguettes down a week and a half ago and apparently couldn't find them and just didn't ever mention it to me. I found them this morning, all hard as a rock."

"You could probably do some serious damage with them," Marinette said with a giggle, remembering how hard stale bread could get after only a couple of days. After a week? They would probably actually feel like they were carved out of rock. "If you had any burglars break in..."

"They wouldn't see it coming," Tom said with a laugh. "No one sees a loaf of bread swinging at their head and thinks oh, here comes a concussion."

"They wouldn't even duck!" Marinette chimed in. "They would just stand there, then wham! No more! Maybe you should keep them on hand just in case!"

"Ah, I have enough rolling pins on hand if it came to that, I think." Tom finished loading up the basket and handed it to Marinette. "There we go! Bring that up front before your mom runs out, and then we can get started on the petit fours."

"Of course, Papa!"

The bakery was bustling- it was already the lunchtime rush, even though Marinette could have sworn that she hadn't slept in that late. Her mom gave her a relieved look as she replaced the nearly-empty bread basket with the new one, piling the two remaining loaves on top of the new basket. Marinette carried the now-empty basket back to the back and then sat down at the large table to start coating the petit fours with glaze that her father had already prepared. The fondant glaze got ladled over each piece, and Marinette made sure that everything was covered before moving on to the next tray. Her dad was busy at the ovens again, checking on the eclairs that he had baking.

It was easy, quick work, if slightly delicate. That didn't bother Marinette at all- after all, sewing was often delicate, and things like beading were fussy, fiddly work as well. Little fondant flowers formed between her fingers and made their way onto the cakes. She picked up an icing bag and piped the bakery's logo onto a few of the tiny cakes. Little zig-zags formed, followed by swirly patterns and dots. Those finished soon enough, and then Marinette moved on to filling and dipping eclairs. Her dad kept the bread baskets full, working on rolling out croissants and making pain au chocolate for the afternoon crowd. Marinette grabbed a bite to eat after the eclairs were done, and then helped prepare some of the doughs and fondant for the next day.

She was just putting the newly-made fondant into the fridge when her phone buzzed. Marinette washed her hands and pulled her phone out, eyes widening at the alert that had popped up.

There was an akuma near the Grand Paris, a disgruntled cosplayer that had been turned into Spyder-Man and was now sticking people to all sorts of surfaces. It was causing a fair bit of chaos, especially since the Mayor had (naturally) gotten offended at the akuma's behavior and ended up getting suspended way up in the air.