HAWKMOTH AND ELEMENTS~

Fall

For the first few weeks, the attic that Hawkmoth had found and renovated seemed the perfect lair. He had a fabulous view of the city, a central location that provided access to a large chunk of the population, and a gorgeous window that cemented the perfect aesthetic that the attic space provided. On top of that, the whole building was abandoned, which meant that there wasn't anyone trying to stop him as he headed up to his lair. Sure, the window had been a hassle to put in since it was rather large and had a lot of moving parts and he had had to work at night, but boy was it worth it.

And then it turned cold and windy.

"Go fetch me the Miraculous!" Hawkmoth ordered his akuma through chattering teeth. He wrapped his arms around himself, rubbing them up and down to try to ward off the chill. He wasn't very successful. Another gust of wind whistled through tiny cracks in the walls of his attic lair and filtered through his suit, chilling him to the bone. It was putting Hawkmoth in a bad mood, but at least he could comfort himself with the reminder that while he might be cold and the walls around him might have cracks and holes aplenty, at least he had walls to protect him from the worst of the gusts. Ladybug and Chat Noir wouldn't.

(Neither would the akuma, but since this particular one's design included lots of fur scarves, Hawkmoth strongly doubted that it would have any problems.)

Hawkmoth hopped from foot to foot as he waited. His chattering teeth spread into a grin when Ladybug and Chat Noir showed up to fight the akuma. Oh, he might be uncomfortable, but he was about to win. He was sure of it. The weather would get in the way of Ladybug and Chat Noir's fighting, and their shivering limbs and chattering teeth would throw them off of their game. Then Fur Fashion would swoop in and defeat them, and Hawkmoth could claim their Miraculous at last.

It was a pity that the akuma who would defeat the city's superheroes had such an awful name and cringe-worthy costume, but he could tolerate it. The means justified the end, after all, and really, the newspapers would probably be too focused on Ladybug and Chat Noir's defeat and their identities being revealed to pay too much attention to the akuma involved. He was smiling through his shivers for a whole five minutes before he realized that things were not going to plan.

Ladybug and Chat Noir were not shivering. They were not curling away from the wind. Sure, their hair was blowing all over the place and both had been thrown a little off course by a strong gust of wind while swinging and pole-vaulting around during the fight, but they seemed completely unbothered by the dropping temperatures. It was as though their suits were protecting them from both physical blows and the weather.

Hawkmoth narrowed his eyes and made a mental note to have words with his kwami as soon as he detransformed.

He didn't have long to wait. Ladybug and Chat Noir took down Fur Fashion within a few more minutes, ripping through the pile of fur scarves around her neck in seconds once they darted close enough and releasing the akuma. Ladybug purified it, her magical mending ladybugs whooshed around town, and Hawkmoth detransformed in a huff, pulling his newly reappeared jacket tightly around himself. Nooroo flew through the air a bit dizzily at first as he was released from the Miraculous. He steadied himself after a moment, shaking his head as though to clear it. When he caught sight of Hawkmoth giving him an icy glare, Nooroo shrunk away.

"The weather has turned cold," Hawkmoth started in a conversational tone. "The suit needs to be made warmer. Unless you didn't notice, it is rather unpleasant to be standing around without proper clothing."

Nooroo blinked up at him.

"Well, are you going to change my suit?" Hawkmoth demanded angrily when Nooroo continued not to say anything. "I can't stand around up there without something warm! If your magic is going to get rid of my coat when I transform, I expect something just as warm to replace it, do you understand me?"