Chapter Twenty Six

It's been a while -oops. That's on adulting and trying to finish a university degree in the middle of a pandemic. Stay safe lovelies! <3 -Katy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the gentle thrum of a machine that eventually woke me. It was as though a sigh of relief was heard across the room, blurred figures moving in my vision. Sugar sweet voices, squeezes of clammy hands on mine. The stale scent of antiseptic and bleach that I despised so much. The light was dull, I'd have guessed it to be around 6am, the first licks of daylight teasing the gaps between the blinds.

"Clara...?" A voice, deep and rugged spoke.

My eyebrows furrowed together, turning towards the sound.

"Clara" It whispered again. Another squeeze against my fingers. Large, strong hands engulfed mine. "Hey, darl."

My eyes struggled to focus on the figure in front of me. The broad shoulders, looked familiar and safe.

"Caius?" I asked, before coughing, my body lurching forward with each dry hack.

Reaching over, the figure grabbed a cup bringing it to my lips and stating a determined "Drink."

Another figure. "Is she awake?"

"Yeah.." Hushed whispers, a motherly voice. The clicking of a pen, two cold figures against my wrist, a gentle touch on my forehead.

"Oh, thank god. My darling girl, you scared us all..."

"I'm sorry" I muttered, my eyes focussing on a short lady with dark black hair. "What happened?"

She gave me a sad smile. "Don't worry about that darling, you're all better now."

"Caius?" I turned towards him. "What-?"

"You should rest," He muttered before turning to the woman and giving her a nod. "I'll stay with her."

Lips pressed against my forehead, before the clicks of heels was heard leaving the room.

"I...I don't remember-" I started.

"The doctors said your memory will come back, but your body has gone through so much trauma. It needs time." Caius spoke softly.

He leaned close to me, giving me a breif kiss on the cheek. "Rest, darling. I'll be right here when you wake."

I brought my hands up to his hair, running my fingers over the short hair clipped around his ears.

"Did you get a haircut?" I asked.

Silence rang out in the room before he pulled away abruptly. "Yeah, do you like it?"

"Hmm..." I sounded, before my eyelids drooped down against my will. Rest it is then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dreamed of power and smoke. The blurry vision of my mind ad the hospital seemed dreamlike in itself. I was glad that Caius was there, though. I feeling of his hands felt different, but I blamed that on the fight. I blamed that on the medications.

I fell deeper finding myself missing the way my hands would weave into the curls around his ears, and asking myself why he would get a haircut, when he knew how much I adored those curls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement 9:30am

"Did she buy it?" A man wearing a dark suit asked.

"I think so."

The feeling of her hands running through his hair was dangerous. Next time he would be more careful.

"Good boy. Tell Matteo that phase two is a go."

With a nod, Owen stepped of the room. His buzzed blonde hair gelled back slick. He let go of a breath before heading down to the dungeons. Time to do some research.