Chapter Twenty Nine

Caius

Taking a sharp breath, I gritted my teeth and pulled. The needle threading closed the two inch gash left behind from a bullet. Their aim was terrible, but in between the gunfire and smoke, one lucky bullet had managed to nick the right rib cage. It hurt like hell.
Panting, I glanced up at the fluorescent lighting of the bathroom.

I needed to find Clara. I needed to make sure Emilia was okay. If I didn't she would never forgive me. God, I was so stupid.

"3, 2, 1.... Ah!" I hissed, sweat breaking out on my forehead; the wound throbbing, yelling in anger at me for sewing it back together.

Big Johnny had managed to escape, and with it brought me fear. He was a dangerous man, with dangerous intent, but it wasn't him I feared most. There are far more vicious men in this line of work than him. Men that make Big Johnny look like child's play. A game of fucking tik tack toe.

"Hey! If you're gunna use the bathroom you gotta pay for something!" An angry voice echoed through the steel door.
Pulling my shirt on carefully, I didn't even bother buttoning it up before squeezing out of the confined public rest room.

"My apologies." I regard, before shooting him a smile and making for the door. "Have a nice day."

Kicking the slosh of snow and dirt which had melted under the suns heat, I followed the pavement for miles.

I needed a plan. I needed to find Clara. I needed painkillers. Asap.

I couldn't go to the hospital, no he'd have people surrounding it. Monitoring it.

Matteo.

We used to be friends you know. Growing up in these families you learn a thing or two. He was one of the elite who took me in when I joined. A mentor even. Now he was my enemy. He had built an empire and formed an army. He had men on every corner, in every location and in every ear. He saw and heard everything.

Which pisses me off.

It was long into the night when familiar buildings came into view. I was still no where near home, but when the haunting black beams of the coffee shop was spotted in the distance, I broke out into a haggard jog.

Pulling the cuff link off my wrist, I jammed it into the back door. After several moments of doubt and swearing, I heard a satisfying click.

Stepping into the space felt different. A thick layer of dust had accumulated on the surfaces, the pumpkin coffee syrup staring at me. Mocking me.

Remember when you were happy? It said. Remember when you danced, when she still had that twinkle of innocence? Well, it's gone now. All because of you.

Picking the bottle up, a sudden wave of anger consumed me, and by the time I blinked the syrup was nothing but a shattered mess on the floor.

I was desperate. I hoped she'd forgive me. But I tipped out every cupboard, pulled up the creaking floor boards and gathered everything.

Whilst Clara was in the back, long ago, when she fell asleep on these very hard wood floors, I hide them.
Weapons.

Counting them gave me comfort. Knives of all sizes, guns of all calibre's. I knew it was wrong. But I had no choice. As soon as she let me in that door the first night I knew. She'd be a part of my life. She'd have a part in this life. Call me selfish, call my foolish. But I knew it then. When she sang and danced, when he laughed, when she cried. I love her.

And I'll do anything it takes to get her back. Even if it means getting my hands dirty.