Chapter Twenty

Hello sunshines! Welcome back to another chapter of Ambivalent. This is unedited as I thought I would get an update for you guys while on break from uni. Enjoy Lovelies <3

CHAPTER SONG: Taylor Swift- Fearless

CHAPTER 20

Clara's P.O.V

Over the years I've learnt that to trust someone is the most revealing thing you can do. Once you trust someone, you're unveiling your soul, giving them permission to dive into your world, become accustom to your hurt.

I didn't know what to make of Caius' supposed 'friend.' As I closed the door to the bathroom, I tugged on the light cord, spreading dim warm light across the stale room. Yellow rubber ducks were cluttered in the bath from where Emilia had washed earlier that night. I wanted to go back. Back to when life was so simple. Yet, don't they say that simple is boring.

Looking back at the closed door, I think of how I let a man into my house without knowing who he is. Today, I am trusting Caius. More so than he knows. I am trusting him to look past the old façade of a friend he once knew, and look behind the mask of familiarity and concentrate on what is morally true.

From my understanding, we were in hiding... weren't we? Someone was after Caius and I, and who are we to say that it wasn't the man helping himself to my fridge like it was his own abode.

Sighing, I turned on the tap and splashed water over my face, rubbing my hands down my face as I glance at my dishevelled appearance in the mirror.

Who was this girl drowning in an unfamiliar emotion? My eyes were sunken in, from lack of sleep, which was thanks the Caius. The lines around my eyes were hard, the veins in my eyes prominent as if to scream many tears have been shed, and more will come. Yet none of them are strong enough to wash away my worry.

A knock on the door broke my focus, my eyes snapping to the door.

"Clara, you there?" Caius' voice sounded out. Wiping my damp hands on my jeans, I replied.

"Uh.... Yeah, I'll be out in a sec." Tying my hair up into a pony tail, and giving myself and final once over, I open the door to see Caius leaning up against them frame.

"What's up Buttercup?" He lifts his hand and brushes my cheek with his fingers gently. Shaking my head slightly, his hand falling. I give him a smile, looking into his green eyes.

"Nothing."

He continues to look at me for a moment, before shifting forward, kissing me on the forehead and pulling me towards him. My hands wound themselves around his waist in a hug. Resting his chin on the top of my head, he mutters "I'm sorry."

Closing my eyes against him chest, and breathing out I nestle closer, squeezing his waist as he kisses my head once more.

"We need to talk" I whisper."

"Okay."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kissing Emilia's forehead and lifting her duvet up to her shoulder, I tuck her in, watching her sleeping figure for a moment. Breathing out a sigh, I move towards the door.

Caius told me he would be waiting in my room as I said goodnight to Emilia.

I was hesitant in leaving her in this room when there was a man sleeping on the sofa one level below, yet I knew I had to speak to Caius in private without waking her.

Closing the door, I walk down the hallway and peak down the stairs to see Jackson's feet hanging off the two-seater sofa. Satisfied with the fact that he hadn't disappeared, I make my way to my room.

Closing the door, I turn to see Caius taking off his shoes. Shrugging off his combat boots, his hair falls in front of his eyes.

"You need a haircut." I state, moving forward and brushing my hands through his hair.

"Do I?" He smirks "if I got it cut you wouldn't be able to run your hands through it, would you?"

"True." I breathe, catching my lower lip in between my teeth.

"Look, I know it's not ideal right now, with Jackson staying, but he'll be out of our hair in a couple days, promise, love."

"Couple of days?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"That's if he doesn't sneak in hear tonight and stab you in the back, both literally and figuratively."

"Clara- Look..."

"Caius, I'm worried. Not just for myself, but also for you. You've been hurt before, I just...I don't want it to happen again. I may be being harsh, but I'm thinking realistically. How long has it been since you've seen this guy? Five years? That's a long time, Caius. You and I know best that change can do a lot to a person."

He sighed, catching my hand which was still raking its way through his dark waves. Kissing my wrist, he sits me on his knee.

"Jackson...is my friend, you don't understand Clara, he was there with me throughout the time my dad..." He breathes in sharply.

"I'm not being unconsiderate, Caius, you only have to think about your past to immediately give your trust away, I have a four-year-old sister and myself to think about. Understand that though he maybe not be a stranger in your eyes, in mine, he's just like any other person out there."

"Look, for now, just... I'll keep an eye on him, okay?" Caius muttered into my neck.

"I want to take Emilia out. She's been hauled up too long. We need fresh air, and not just the kind the wind brings in through the open window every once in a while."

"I promise...look at me." He states, tilting my chin up so our eyes meet. "I promise to give you everything you want, whether it be kicking Jackson out right now, fresh air or even protecting you with my life. Clara, you deserve so much more that I'm able to give you." He leans out foreheads together, his lips brushing mine in promise. "Dragging you into this was the best mistake I've ever made, because if I didn't make it then I wouldn't be holding you in my arms in this exact moment."

<3

LIKE- VOTE- COMMENT- SHARE