Chapter Thirteen

Hello everyone! I hope you have a lovely day, and enjoy the chapter! xx

Chapter Song: Freak by Lana Del Rey

Previously:

His chest was heaving up and down as he took in haggard breaths. "It isn't who I want to be now." He whispered. Sliding down the wall, he rested his arms onto his elbows, his head falling forward, concealing his face in his arms.

Silence consumed us. I wasn't entirely sure how to reply, so I didn't. I let the silence speak for me. The soft hush of the wind flowing through the creaky window spoke for me, the patter of the rain outside spoke for me. I related. I had hated who I was after my mum died. I had hated the world. I had locked myself away, my emotions. That's why Emilia and I grew closer. She had lost a mother and a father, after realizing how selfish I had been, I told myself to not become that person, and empty shell of a young girl who had the world in the palm of her hand, the girl who used to love life. So I gave Emilia everything she wanted. I was the mother, the father and the sister. I was more to her than I had ever been to myself. I was worth something. A stray tear ran down my cheek as I slumped down beside Caius in defeat.

Caius hadn't found that. He hadn't found out he was worth something. In that moment, as I glanced over to his hunched form, and as much as I was scared, I would help him become the person he wanted; I would be the person to help him realize he was worth so much more than the hand of cards he had been dealt.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I cradled the cup of hot mocha in my hands as I peer out of the café window. Downtown was unusually busy this late Monday night. The sun had set and in its wake it had left a string of street lights beaming against the wet pavement. I blew on the hot beverage in desperate attempt to cool to liquid. Steam rose off the top of the drink, the soft drum of Caius' fingers against the wooden table mirroring the soft tick of the clock.

I could feel his determined stare holding me down. His eyes were steady on me, watching my every move. I shuffled lightly in my seat.

"So, what's the debt?" I asked.

"It all depends on which side of the bed they wake up on, it's my life, or easily a couple of million." Caius exclaimed; his eye's piercing my soul.

I hummed before taking a sip of my coffee. The rain was pouring now. Drops echoed off through the air. Each entrance to the café brought a chill which has me clutching my scarf and cuddling further into my chair.

"You're wearing my jumper." Caius stated bluntly.

"You left it at my place; it seemed a waste to not use such a war jumper on such a cold day."

"I'm not complaining, it looks better on you than it does on me."

I blushed. Sneaking a look at him, I see the smug grin stretching across his face. I lifted my coffee up to cover my face from his lurking eyes. I looked out to the cold winter's night. I pictured myself as a snowflake, just like those which were scattered among the rain. How I would fly, searching for the meaning. Beautiful but destined to be destroyed. I imagined the fall. How something which looks so peaceful can be so painful, so destructive. I imagined the landing, the soft melting; breaking apart into water particles which cling to the air like it's their loved one. The rain drowned out the snowflakes with my thoughts.

"Have you ever heard the saying 'flattery will get you nowhere?'" I teased.

"There she is." He said.

My head snapped towards him. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I was wondering where she went." He spoke. Leaning forward across the table, he pointed on finger at me. "There she is."